Perfect practice makes practice perfect #1

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-ring

Reaction score
I have shot in numerous mid and long range matches where the point spread between winner and third place could be only 6 points or so over a two day match aggregate. Now imagine if you could add only 2 or 3 points each day to your score if you could improve your form. Small errors in your shooting form are cumulative when shooting long range [or any range for that matter]. You will never reach your full shooting potential if you don't identify and correct them. The shooter is the weak link no matter how expensive your shooting system is. Shooting "form" consists of these basics: natural point of aim, grip, sight picture, breath control, trigger control, and follow through. The farther away the target is [either paper or animal] , the more your shooting errors are amplified. Most shooters are blissfully unaware of any flaws that they have when shooting. Now let me say this: The great majority of shooters are not concerned with anything long range. They come to the range before deer season to check their zero and to shoot a box of ammo. If they get a 4 inch 100 yard "minute of deer" size group they go home happy and I am happy for them. I get it. But they could be better! The problem is that they have been repeating the same subconscious mistakes over and over that they can be very hard to break. In sports medicine, it is claimed that it takes 3000 reps to build a new neural pathway and 9000 reps to repair a bad habit. It is WAY easier to teach a new shooter good habits than to try to correct a long time shooter's bad habits. It's not how much your shooting system cost, it's how much effort you put in learning how to use it! Stay tuned. X

I agree 100%. Most human operated equipment is like that, the equipment is usually much better than the person operating it. My problem is, I usually shoot alone and it's hard to identify all (which I have many) of my bad habits. :wall:

.... My problem is, I usually shoot alone and it's hard to identify all (which I have many) of my bad habits. :wall:
Most of us shoot alone and if we have bad habits, they're seldom seen.
Its been more than likely 15yrs, a few times I used a video camera to video myself and at that time another shooter. It helped with a couple bad habits for myself and the other shooter.

I have shot in numerous mid and long range matches where the point spread between winner and third place could be only 6 points or so over a two day match aggregate. Now imagine if you could add only 2 or 3 points each day to your score if you could improve your form. Small errors in your shooting form are cumulative when shooting long range [or any range for that matter]. You will never reach your full shooting potential if you don't identify and correct them. The shooter is the weak link no matter how expensive your shooting system is. Shooting "form" consists of these basics: natural point of aim, grip, sight picture, breath control, trigger control, and follow through. The farther away the target is [either paper or animal] , the more your shooting errors are amplified. Most shooters are blissfully unaware of any flaws that they have when shooting. Now let me say this: The great majority of shooters are not concerned with anything long range. They come to the range before deer season to check their zero and to shoot a box of ammo. If they get a 4 inch 100 yard "minute of deer" size group they go home happy and I am happy for them. I get it. But they could be better! The problem is that they have been repeating the same subconscious mistakes over and over that they can be very hard to break. In sports medicine, it is claimed that it takes 3000 reps to build a new neural pathway and 9000 reps to repair a bad habit. It is WAY easier to teach a new shooter good habits than to try to correct a long time shooter's bad habits. It's not how much your shooting system cost, it's how much effort you put in learning how to use it! Stay tuned. X
Great post Paul....... Keep'em coming.

I totally agree. But the devil lies in the details, as well. Without perfect loads, perfect form can mean nothing.
For most just shooting hunting distances, it doesn't show up so much as when shooting LONG range. ELR its worse.
So many contributing factors......

Most of us shoot alone and if we have bad habits, they're seldom seen.

The club I shoot at has limited space so I generally get there early and set up so that at 9 when I can legally shoot, I'm ready. I don't see many others until 10-10:30 and by that time I'm probably packing. My usual range time consists of ten shots thru the Optima pistol and 15 thru each of whichever rifles I bring. Each of the guns is already dialed for hunting accuracy with the pistol doing slightly less than an inch at 50 yards, the rifles slightly less than an inch at 100. My range time is to stay in touch with shooting form with the guns. Every trip is a new day of shooting and sometimes life's little things will follow me to the range and if I do not see the accuracy that I know any of these guns is capable of I stop shooting, pack up and head home so I don't sit there practicing "shooting off". On one occasion a friend from the club got there as I sat down to shoot the Accura. He allowed me a couple shots as he readied stuff to bring to the bench and asked if I was stiff that morning. He'd been watching my form and said I didn't appear to be getting "down on the gun" like I normally do and sure enough, the couple, three shots I'd sent were off a bit. He let me load two more and shoot while I tried to get settled but to no avail. I just wasn't comfortable for some reason, so I packed it in.

It helps to have another check your form or to see if there is a little tug or flinch that needs addressing. I'm not recoil shy and as a rule have very good form and concentration. Time and experience has taught me how many shots from which gun is enough without getting to the point of the recoil hurting. I don't care who you are, when recoil begins to hurt you've over done it and nothing good will come from shooting if you are hurting. To be clear here, the guns I am shooting are hunting guns and weigh under ten pounds and are shooting some stiff hunting capable loads. The lightest gun by far is the .45 Patriot shooting smokeless and it's recoil signature using a 200 grain bullet is entirely different from the .45 Kodiak shooting T7 fffg granular or BH209 with the same 200 grain bullet. The Kodiak has over two pound on that Patriot but at best is a nine shot gun using the T7 and BH. Knowing that the guns are able to do what they're sighted to do, if things aren't right at the bench, I know its on me and I pack it and fly. Another day, better shooting.

The club I shoot at has limited space so I generally get there early and set up so that at 9 when I can legally shoot, I'm ready. I don't see many others until 10-10:30 and by that time I'm probably packing. My usual range time consists of ten shots thru the Optima pistol and 15 thru each of whichever rifles I bring. Each of the guns is already dialed for hunting accuracy with the pistol doing slightly less than an inch at 50 yards, the rifles slightly less than an inch at 100. My range time is to stay in touch with shooting form with the guns. Every trip is a new day of shooting and sometimes life's little things will follow me to the range and if I do not see the accuracy that I know any of these guns is capable of I stop shooting, pack up and head home so I don't sit there practicing "shooting off". On one occasion a friend from the club got there as I sat down to shoot the Accura. He allowed me a couple shots as he readied stuff to bring to the bench and asked if I was stiff that morning. He'd been watching my form and said I didn't appear to be getting "down on the gun" like I normally do and sure enough, the couple, three shots I'd sent were off a bit. He let me load two more and shoot while I tried to get settled but to no avail. I just wasn't comfortable for some reason, so I packed it in.

It helps to have another check your form or to see if there is a little tug or flinch that needs addressing. I'm not recoil shy and as a rule have very good form and concentration. Time and experience has taught me how many shots from which gun is enough without getting to the point of the recoil hurting. I don't care who you are, when recoil begins to hurt you've over done it and nothing good will come from shooting if you are hurting. To be clear here, the guns I am shooting are hunting guns and weigh under ten pounds and are shooting some stiff hunting capable loads. The lightest gun by far is the .45 Patriot shooting smokeless and it's recoil signature using a 200 grain bullet is entirely different from the .45 Kodiak shooting T7 fffg granular or BH209 with the same 200 grain bullet. The Kodiak has over two pound on that Patriot but at best is a nine shot gun using the T7 and BH. Knowing that the guns are able to do what they're sighted to do, if things aren't right at the bench, I know its on me and I pack it and fly. Another day, better shooting.
I completely understand and agree. But if it's match day, you have to adapt and overcome. X

I love reading about all of the long distance and X-long distance shooting and shooters and what they go thru to get to where they want to be, but I have zero interest in myself competing. I don't have a competitive bone in my carcass. I live by one rule and that is: I have no one that I need to impress other than myself. If I see things not working out or not going to work out, there's always another day.

I love reading about all of the long distance and X-long distance shooting and shooters and what they go thru to get to where they want to be, but I have zero interest in myself competing. I don't have a competitive bone in my carcass. I live by one rule and that is: I have no one that I need to impress other than myself. If I see things not working out or not going to work out, there's always another day.
Ya don't have to compete to fall "head over heals" for long range shooting. ;)

Its like a lot of things, heck even trying to find out which sabot works, or does this or that. Once you start shooting long range, it becomes a goal for yourself. So much to learn, even for those that have been at it for a long time.

Stretch out that rifle you have. You'll have fun and you won't have to compete against anyone but yourself. :)

Agreed steel sharpens steel.
I wish I had someone in my area to shoot with that could pick up on anything I'm doing wrong.
There in lies the issue. You really need to have someone in your exsoerience level to train with.
It's great to bring a new person out and teach but to really improve you need similar skill sets
One pushing the other and vise versa.
Something I use regularly is dry fire practice
There us alot of time between shots allowing thr gun to cool that you can get in trigger practice while the gun is empty.
I keep a journal of that and refer back a few days to remember what I'm working on.

Agreed steel sharpens steel.
I wish I had someone in my area to shoot with that could pick up on anything I'm doing wrong.
There in lies the issue. You really need to have someone in your exsoerience level to train with.
It's great to bring a new person out and teach but to really improve you need similar skill sets
One pushing the other and vise versa.
Something I use regularly is dry fire practice
There us alot of time between shots allowing thr gun to cool that you can get in trigger practice while the gun is empty.
I keep a journal of that and refer back a few days to remember what I'm working on.
You are in luck smokey. I just watched the video you posted in "long distance flintlock rifles". When you watch it, focus on your trigger finger. A quick slap to the rear and a just as quick rebound to the front. The number one shooting error many [most?] people have. X

You are in luck smokey. I just watched the video you posted in "long distance flintlock rifles". When you watch it, focus on your trigger finger. A quick slap to the rear and a just as quick rebound to the front. The number one shooting error many [most?] people have. X
Yes working on that.
Comes from years of speed shooting
Heavy revolver triggers. I've always shot from the front of the trigger gaurd.
It shows up in the dry fire every time as a
An upset low left in the follow thru portion of the sight picture....

I'm working real hard to correct. Some days are better than others.

Yes working on that.
Comes from years of speed shooting
Heavy revolver triggers. I've always shot from the front of the trigger gaurd.
It shows up in the dry fire every time as a
An upset low left in the follow thru portion of the sight picture....

I'm working real hard to correct. Some days are better than others.
Just identifying it is half the battle! I'm currently teaching my grandson how to shoot a pistol properly. I stand beside him and repeat the mantra.................SLOOOOOOW SQUEEZE............SLOW SQUEEZE.......SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW SQUEEEEEEEEEEEZE. I won't let him do any rapid fire. I can look at his target and tell pretty quick when he has lost focus. X

I wasn't going to mention that....... LOL

I wasn't going to mention that....... LOL
It's tough having shot over 500k 22lr rounds
At warp speed I'm having to break down to the basics and unlearn that skill set for this skill set.
It's like starting over.
The positive is yes I've identified it and am working very hard.ill get it sooner than later.

It's tough having shot over 500k 22lr rounds
At warp speed I'm having to break down to the basics and unlearn that skill set for this skill set.
It's like starting over.
The positive is yes I've identified it and am working very hard.ill get it sooner than later.
Dry fire is helping alot.
My issue right now is when I go into match mode i find myself going back to that snap sight picture that registers a good call but doesn't show up on target.
It can be frustrating.
Sometimes I go down to the table with just the gun and Dry fire for an hour.
Shot a match today and the results were marginal at best I'll post my target in the postal match respectable but not what I'd like to see.
Droping 4 points more work to do...

Dry fire is helping alot.
My issue right now is when I go into match mode i find myself going back to that snap sight picture that registers a good call but doesn't show up on target.
It can be frustrating.
Sometimes I go down to the table with just the gun and Dry fire for an hour.
Shot a match today and the results were marginal at best I'll post my target in the postal match respectable but not what I'd like to see.
Droping 4 points more work to do...
Here is a homework assignment for you and Encore or anybody else.
Go to Encores thread "match ready" in the long range section.
Watch the video of "Jeff at 1000 yds. at Camp Atterbury"
Do you see anything he could improve on?
Taking a video can reveal things you can't see yourself.
Make no mistake.......THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM OF JEFF!
Everyone, ESPECIALLY ME, has room for improvement.
Your homework assignment will be graded tomorrow. And NO EXCUSES like "the dog ate my homework" or "I was kidnapped by aliens" X

Here is a homework assignment for you and Encore or anybody else.
Go to Encores thread "match ready" in the long range section.
Watch the video of "Jeff at 1000 yds. at Camp Atterbury"
Do you see anything he could improve on?
Taking a video can reveal things you can't see yourself.
Make no mistake.......THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM OF JEFF!
Everyone, ESPECIALLY ME, has room for improvement.
Your homework assignment will be graded tomorrow. And NO EXCUSES like "the dog ate my homework" or "I was kidnapped by aliens" X
Years ago, I used to video my and another shooter. Its surprising what you can see.
I made a couple mistakes yesterday shooting the postal match that I realized and didn't need a video.

Back