My first Antelope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Rat

Reaction score
This hunt started almost three months ago when a buddy of mine and I drew antelope tags. My buddy happens to live where we would be hunting so he started scouting right away. September 20th couldn't come fast enough. I left on September 19th got to my buddies house spend around 930 am. Right away we left to scout the day before season started. My buddy found a 80"+ goat three weeks before season and never saw him again. We checked on some shooters on the west side of town then looked for the big goat north of town which I am glad we did. We found the big goat right before dark with a small group of does. The next morning we were right back there at day break. My buddy dropped me off with a game plan to locate the goat. As soon as he was fine I worked towards the top of the first hill and as soon as I got to the top I located the group of goats with the big one in toe. I kept trying to get in position to get a shot but needed to close the distance at least 100 yards. Managed to make a doe nervous who took the group over the hill. I got to where they last were to see where they were going and the big buck made a huge mistake. He came back to make sure he didn't leave any does and I made a long 51 yard shot. Dry!

All summer I practiced 400-500 yard shots with my custom smokeless muzzleloader. Then I make a very long shot on this goat, lol!

Wow!! what a great goat. And an excellent story. So that is a smokeless muzzleloader? I was looking at the rifle. Its sure a beauty.

Its funny, the one time I hunted elk, the guide told me to be prepared for a 300+ yard shot. He told me my old 30-06 Remington semi automatic carbine might be a poor choice. At that time the big rage gun was the 7mm mag. So I got one of them in a Ruger. High end scope, practiced for I would hate to guess how many shots at extreme distances. My elk walked in around 80 yards. My 30-06 would have worked just fine. But it was over in a second.

Congrats river rat on the fine trophy. And nice write up also.

Great stuff mate congrats

I prefer meat in its original packaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Hey double "R", Congrats on that goat. He's a wall hanger and some good back straps :!: :!:

Ray.......... :yeah:

thanks everyone for all the compliments Biol old was 327 match hunter shooting about 2500 feet per second by zero was 200 yards

Latest posts

Back