“Stubby” breaks the 2-year dry spell

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieTN

Reaction score
A bit ago I had posted a re-introduction as I’ve been out of the muzzleloading game for a bit and just recently decided to get back in. At the same time I had come across a great deal on an older CVA Wolf with 4x Nikon scope that had been cut down to 22” barrel. I affectionally call it “Stubby.”

Due to buying a house this year, some remodeling in that house, life in general, and the fact I pastor a church, I haven’t had much of a chance to hunt this year and haven’t killed a deer in over 2 years so I was wanting some venison.

Well, tonight Stubby helped to break that dry spell on a nice doe. Granted she walked out of the neighbors woods into my back yard but the 240 gr XTP over 2 Pyrodex 50/50 pellets did the trick at 33 yards and she only ran an additional 30 yards.

The doe is now quartered and on ice and will make some very nice bacon burgers, meatloaf, and ground. Plus the back straps will be great with some biscuits for breakfast.

063838E6-5F64-4363-B0BE-5845BDE80875.jpeg

085F94D3-4AFC-41DA-9EEE-09B0DEA17697.jpeg

Congrats to you and Stubby! I once went 8yrs without a deer and didn't get one this year to start the next dry streak. It happens.
Guess that’s why they call it hunting and not killing. I got spoiled when I first started hunting and had access to a farm that was overloaded with deer. I’m hunting mostly all public land with a little bit of private thrown in.

Last edited:
It’s a good thing to get one on the ground. Congrats :lewis:

Guess that’s why they call it hunting and not killing. I got spoiled when I first started hunting and had access to a farm that was overloaded with deer. I’m hunting mostly all public land with a little bit of private thrown in.

Our deer population has fluctuated greatly over the last 10-15 yrs due to normal cycles, farming changes, logging and adjacent hunting pressure to name a few ccauses. Hunting as you say.

Our deer population has fluctuated greatly over the last 10-15 yrs due to normal cycles, farming changes, logging and adjacent hunting pressure to name a few ccauses. Hunting as you say.
Our is certainly booming right now, especially in the more populated rural areas. Loss of hunting land has helped the deer so much. We had so many sets of twins born this year, in fact when I shot this doe there were 2 other mature does with her as well as two sets of twins. If the population is’t thinned some, we will have another round of EHD hit the area and thin it out for us.

A bit ago I had posted a re-introduction as I’ve been out of the muzzleloading game for a bit and just recently decided to get back in. At the same time I had come across a great deal on an older CVA Wolf with 4x Nikon scope that had been cut down to 22” barrel. I affectionally call it “Stubby.”

Due to buying a house this year, some remodeling in that house, life in general, and the fact I pastor a church, I haven’t had much of a chance to hunt this year and haven’t killed a deer in over 2 years so I was wanting some venison.

Well, tonight Stubby helped to break that dry spell on a nice doe. Granted she walked out of the neighbors woods into my back yard but the 240 gr XTP over 2 Pyrodex 50/50 pellets did the trick at 33 yards and she only ran an additional 30 yards.

The doe is now quartered and on ice and will make some very nice bacon burgers, meatloaf, and ground. Plus the back straps will be great with some biscuits for breakfast.

View attachment 28423

View attachment 28425

View attachment 28423

View attachment 28425
Congrats...it'll be a great eater. :lewis:

Latest posts

Back