#11 caps vs 209 primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ep427

Reaction score
Who uses what and why? I have used both and never had a problem with either. It does seem like the 209s are dirtier.

Started out using #11 with the Renegade then went to 209 Winchester an Triple Seven's then when I found the White's I reverted back to the #11 RWS and Remington an staying put....like you said 209's are a lot dirtier, but then my plunger guns make some grim as well, not as much problems with the #11's either, accuracy is great an deer find their way into the freezer. 8)

Some guns are better suited to #11's, and some better suited to 209's. Each definitely has its place.
Most of the newer style guns are probably better suited to 209's, and in most cases can be made to shoot very clean. In my older plunger guns I prefer #11's, don't see any advantage to using 209's.

Many of my rifles are set up to use #11 caps. Like you, I never had any problems with ignition.

Yes, depends on the gun, load, and what you are trying to ignite, throw State regulations in there too. Back in my side-lock days a #11 cap ignited a charge of loose Pyrodex just fine. That wouldn't work with a charge of Blackhorn 209.

can I fire a Kentucky Rifle set for an #11 cap with a 209 primer? I'm out of caps, and waiting on a kit to make my own .. but I can get my hands on some 209's and even if its dirtier, if it fires I'll go ahead and buy some 209's. Never Mind I think I found my own answer.. thanks though.

Last edited:
I keep it simple. #11/musket caps for sidelocks, and 209 primers for inlines.
Simple is 209 for both Mag Spark does it for my sidelocks ,and nothing wrong with back ups for back ups, also RWS/CCI #11 caps . The advantage using 209 /Mag Spark is it enables me to use BH209 and anything else I can stuff down the barrel Where as it ain't happening with #11 caps (that's simple) !!!/Ed

Back