TC Scout

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rap Scallion

USMC Vet 1959-70 NRA/NMLRA/TSRA/SASS
Supporting member
Reaction score
Today at 8:30 AM
I have picked up a very nice TC Scout Carbine earlier this year, used it as a back up deer hunting gun this year in Texas. I had considerable problems with 82 yo eyes and fat fingers while reloading. Also noticed with 209 Blackhorn or Pyrodex and new and improved Rem caps that I had several mis fires, hang fires and terrible accuracy. I realize a lot of this problem may be ME, I know hard to admit, but the realization also occurred to me that perhaps some or all of my problems may be correctable. Eyeglasses and Optometrist may help improve the sight.....also I use 209 primers on another TC ML using 209 loose powder, so I know they work! I was reading back on the forum here , of the 209 remedies and saw the David Pedersolie modification kit and got a new breech plug from Track and modification kit from Cabelas. I see how they work and looks to me that it could be done with the right gun smith or machinist doing the metal work. My questions are has any one found that is doable and IF it will help reload and cure the hang fire and misfire problems. Also of course, how hard is it to find the person with the skills to do the metal work, I could have done 50 years ago????

Well, I'll give you my experience with my TC Scout. Because of the special nipple, which is more like a breech plug in design, I had a lot of issues shooting Pyrodex RS & RS Select. Maybe Pyrodex P would ignite better than the RS?? Now this was back many years ago, way before BH209. BUT, I switched to shooting ONLY real black powder in the Scout, using ONLY #11 magnum primers, and never had an issue after doing so. I will tell you that BH209 is NOT for that rifle. Maybe you could modify it to change the entire nipple/breech plug, but I think your looking at a lot of cost IF its even possible. Try switching to REAL black and see how it goes. It worked perfectly for me. Good luck, and share your findings.

Also, get yourself a couple extra nipples for that rifle if you plan on keeping it for a long time. You can find them on Ebay.

Last edited:
Well, I'll give you my experience with my TC Scout. Because of the special nipple, which is more like a breech plug in design, I had a lot of issues shooting Pyrodex RS & RS Select. Maybe Pyrodex P would ignite better than the RS?? Now this was back many years ago, way before BH209. BUT, I switched to shooting ONLY real black powder in the Scout, using ONLY #11 magnum primers, and never had an issue after doing so. I will tell you that BH209 is NOT for that rifle. Maybe you could modify it to change the entire nipple/breech plug, but I think your looking at a lot of cost IF its even possible. Try switching to REAL black and see how it goes. It worked perfectly for me. Good luck, and share your findings.

Also, get yourself a couple extra nipples for that rifle if you plan on keeping it for a long time. You can find them on Ebay.
Thanks for that advice. I was wanting to try modification to 209 primers for the ease of physically getting them on a conversion nipple and the better ignition I have on a modified TC Side hammer. One of the members here has done it and I was hoping it would be more of an widespread or common procedure. I have tried a variety of powders from friends, and despite the cost prefer the BH 209. The drawback there is the need for the hotter 209 primer. I am about as far into the 21st century as I am gonna go, so just going down and getting a modern, in line rifle isn't really where I am going!

Thanks for that advice. I was wanting to try modification to 209 primers for the ease of physically getting them on a conversion nipple and the better ignition I have on a modified TC Side hammer. One of the members here has done it and I was hoping it would be more of an widespread or common procedure. I have tried a variety of powders from friends, and despite the cost prefer the BH 209. The drawback there is the need for the hotter 209 primer. I am about as far into the 21st century as I am gonna go, so just going down and getting a modern, in line rifle isn't really where I am going!
Get a Mag Spark 209 and use 209 primers .,get a extra cap in case you lose one $30.. something bucks for the side lock , waterproof tape muzzle/ light anything you have that goes bang !/Ed

Get a Mag Spark 209 and use 209 primers .,get a extra cap in case you lose one $30.. something bucks for the side lock , waterproof tape muzzle/ light anything you have that goes bang !/Ed
Thanks eek......I have done just that on a TC Grey hawk, and it works wonderful. Except for sticking of the primers in the screw on top, no problems. I want to try this same thing on the Scout, but will have to modify a replacement breech plug first. I need someone to modify it for me...a machinist or gunsmith! Any suggestions here on line who might be into that??????

Thanks eek......I have done just that on a TC Grey hawk, and it works wonderful. Except for sticking of the primers in the screw on top, no problems. I want to try this same thing on the Scout, but will have to modify a replacement breech plug first. I need someone to modify it for me...a machinist or gunsmith! Any suggestions here on line who might be into that??????
Great but just spit in top then close (NO STICKING)along with the primer in your mouth /Ed

Back