17 hmr split cases

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 17hmr it’s a citadel trakr and ever case of Winchester ammo is splitting.

I have not attempted to run the Hornady ammo I purchased. Went to the country range with only the Winchester.

Is this going to be a warranty issue? Is it common? Potentially unsafe?

The internet in its wisdom has lead me to more than 1 post of people having the same issue.

I’ve got a Marlin and a Savage in 17 HMR. Every so often a neck will split. I also have a Mach 2 that will split necks every time. I don’t worry about it as it’s common.

Curious to see that. You have pictures of it? I've only ran cci through my savage with no problem so I can't testify to the winchester ammo.
To the left are the split cases to the right are normal cases. Sorry about the quality of the photos.

IMG_1393.jpegIMG_1394.jpegIMG_1395.jpeg

Thank you all for your replies. I am still wondering if this is the ammo or rifle. Further testing is needed before contacting warranty repair center.

From what little I've seen on these rifles it appears that the quality isn't quite what it should be. I have a Savage 93-17 and I have no trouble with any ammo, Hornady, CCI or Winchester.
I suggest that you contact Citadel and see what they say AFTER you try other ammo.
I have the same gun.Maybe a different configuration but only problem I've had is the gun feeding from the magazine. It shoots great with CCI's.

You should check your chamber marking, might be a .17 Hornet

Definitely not a 17 hornet Citadel does not make one in that caliber.

I wish they made a 22 hornet. I would pick up one of those things but they’re too darn expensive. The idea of reloading 22 sounds appealing.

Winchester had an issue a few years ago with their 17hmr cases. I sent approx 465( loaded) back to them along with 35 split cases. I was issued a full refund. I don't have the lot #s that were involved. I have had a savage 92 in a 17hmr since 2008 and that was the only ammo that ever split cases. The damn stuff was accurate as hell too. Currently shooting Hornady and CCI.

I agree that you have a chamber issue and should contact Citadel about warranty replacement. My Ruger RPR .17hmr has never split a case. Imho, it may be common, but it sure shouldnt be considered normal. Modern machining is too precise to have that be acceptable. Maybe you could just have it rechambered to a Hornet, by a good gunsmith? Contact Citadel and find out what they have to say.

I agree that you have a chamber issue and should contact Citadel about warranty replacement. My Ruger RPR .17hmr has never split a case. Imho, it may be common, but it sure shouldnt be considered normal. Modern machining is too precise to have that be acceptable. Maybe you could just have it rechambered to a Hornet, by a good gunsmith? Contact Citadel and find out what they have to say.
Thank you brother. I purchased the rifle through buds with the lifetime warranty, so shouldn’t be a problem getting repaired…

To the left are the split cases to the right are normal cases. Sorry about the quality of the photos.

View attachment 43005View attachment 43006View attachment 43007

Thank you all for your replies. I am still wondering if this is the ammo or rifle. Further testing is needed before contacting warranty repair center.
I'd put my money on the rifle...more specifically the chamber. Cases split because the chamber is cut loose enough for the case to expand too far. It could also be a headspace issue. The headspacing is too loose and it's allowing the case to back up enough to get loose in the chamber. I kind of doubt that though. How is the accuracy?

I'd put my money on the rifle...more specifically the chamber. Cases split because the chamber is cut loose enough for the case to expand too far. It could also be a headspace issue. The headspacing is too loose and it's allowing the case to back up enough to get loose in the chamber. I kind of doubt that though. How is the accuracy?
Well, it was a freehand plinking session.

I have yet to put it on a bench to test accuracy.

Back