1st Omega. WOW

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
My daughter shoots a Knight LK93. She was having issues cocking it due to hand strength. I found a used Omega Z5, with a Nikon Prosatff scope. It is a little rough, slightly pitted bore, but not bad and reasonably priced. I cleaned the bore as well as I could and drilled out the flame channel. I could not believe how much crud the drilling pulled out.

Shoot it at 50 yards with her load, 80 gr. T7 FFG Scorpian PT Gold 240 in a CR Sabot and a W209. That thing shot a clover leaf group. I'm very impressed.

It does have some blowback with a W209. Is anyone using a Woodman Arms adjustable plug? Seems like a good idea, just expensive considering what I paid for the rifle.

Last edited:
It does have some blowback with a W209.
The most inexpensive fix without purchasing bestill's or Woodman's Custom Breech Plug is to separate your Win W209 Primers by length & use the ones that are .300"+ Long.
You might also want to drill out the Flame Channel to 5/32" to take some of the pressure off the 209 Primer in that Short Breech Plug. (Factory is 1/8")

The most inexpensive fix without purchasing bestill's or Woodman's Custom Breech Plug is to separate your Win W209 Primers by length & use the ones that are .300"+ Long.
You might also want to drill out the Flame Channel to 5/32" to take some of the pressure off the 209 Primer in that Short Breech Plug. (Factory is 1/8")
Thanks. I was using .301 W209's and still getting no crush.

Just put a new factory plug in. I haven't measured yet, but it feels much tighter. When this one wears out I'll buy the Woodman adjustable plug.

Anyone use a variflame breech plug or is it even needed?
I’ve already got the breech plug and primer adapters, so I won’t have to buy anything.

Every time I see a thread or post about an Omega, it makes me want one.
Go for it. Keep your eyes peeled and look a whole bunch. I found mine (Z5) on gunbroker for a good price. It was in great condition. When T/C quit making them imho they quit making them because they thought the Triumph and later the Encore would be better and they're not.

I picked up the new to me Omega this morning, and I think I’m going to like it. :lewis:

From initial sight in shots, it appears 65 gr BH (by weight) 250 gr .458 45/70 bullet with an orange harvester sabot is going to be a pretty decent load.

Last edited:
I did a search and didn’t come up with an answer, and rather than start a new thread, I’m going to ask here.
65 grains (by weight) of BH doesn’t seem like a really heavy load compared to some charges I see used on here, but I ended up with quite a bit of unburned powder. I‘m using the variflame plug with CCI magnum large rifle primers for ignition.
The rifle shoots well, but with the price of BH, I really hate feeling like I’m wasting powder.

Retriever....how tight does the sabot/bullet fit? BH really likes resistance/pressure put to it. I shoot 77 weighed grains in my Accura V2 with a 250 grain Barnes XPB in a black sabot and the fit is quite tight. I use W209 primers and when shot over snow off a bench I see zero unburned powder on the snow or in the barrel. The barrel length is 27" but I think it has more to do with the bullet/sabot having a good solid pack when loading, and plenty of loading resistance.

Retriever....how tight does the sabot/bullet fit? BH really likes resistance/pressure put to it. I shoot 77 weighed grains in my Accura V2 with a 250 grain Barnes XPB in a black sabot and the fit is quite tight. I use W209 primers and when shot over snow off a bench I see zero unburned powder on the snow or in the barrel. The barrel length is 27" but I think it has more to do with the bullet/sabot having a good solid pack when loading, and plenty of loading resistance.
I was shooting a .458 45/70 bullet and an orange harvester sabot, and they were super tight going down the barrel. They shot really well.

Back