Traditions St.Louis Hawken Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You did an awesome job building that gun! I particularly like the finish on the stock and the wood grain.

The wood treatment is excellent.
Well done!
Ron

The other video but this time with Olde Eynsford!

First shot is at 100 yards, and the next 2 are at 80 yards off the ATV seat.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ymF0DsCdKUI" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Your wood/metal skills are highly commendable, and your ability to write clear, concise instructions, very remarkable. I'm inspired!

Great job!

50 cal. is a good choice in that it seems to be the industry's new standard. You can usually find 50 cal. projectiles and accessories at many sporting goods stores that sell muzzle loader supplies.

Jon, What an amazing tutorial with the great photos and such detailed instructions. The gun is just gorgeous and has that "I never want to put it down" look to it. Great job. You've turned gun stock finishing into an art form.

Great job!

50 cal. is a good choice in that it seems to be the industry's new standard. You can usually find 50 cal. projectiles and accessories at many sporting goods stores that sell muzzle loader supplies.

It used to be a good choice but now it's too small for elk in Colorado if you use a PRB.

It used to be a good choice but now it's too small for elk in Colorado if you use a PRB.
You're right Pete. I got an elk at 147 yards with a .50 PRB a couple years ago. It didn't go 10'. Apparently they got some Commiefornia Snowflake running the CPW division now! .50 to .54 doesn't even make sense! Stay well Pete.

I'm really surprised CSMLA hasn't gotten something done on this issue? Unfortunately they don't seem to do much on these types of things. Didn't bother renewing this year...

Jon

you're very meticulous in regards to fine detail :thumbs up: .......maybe you should consider building a period piece...like a J Henry trade rifle. :D
7DB0PR.png

Is this the one Ron Paull gun built for you? Ron probably has built more J Henry rifles and has the best patterns from original guns. Nice rifle "Lighthorseman

skills.jpg

First Birchwood Casey's instant blue. Then put the parts in Clorox bleach for 10 to 20 minutes. Remove, scrub with baking soda to neutralize, then buff back to where I wanted it with Scotch Brite gray pad. The blue and the Clorox causes a chemical reaction which etches the metal and leaves the etch dark.

Warning About this Mixturer, this is how you make Chlorine gas is greenish-yellow and smells like bleach. ... This yellowish-green gas crystallizes as bright orange crystals at −59 °C. At room temperature ... Contact with the escaping gas may cause frost bite. ... I know as we did this by accident 15 years ago, since then we have no taste or smell from a brief smell of this gas. The doctors told us we were lucky we didn't die on the spot.

skills.jpg

I didn't read through the whole thing yet, but I noticed in the first dozen pictures that the quality of the wood prep. on yours is way better than the one I just built. Hoping there will be less negativity on this forum than on another forum for the things I'm trying to do, so I'll probably post pictures of my Traditions Hawken kit. It's done now with a nice glossy stock and nickel plate, got a really nice root beer color on the stock.

Back