200 SST vs 225 Fury Which bullet?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had SSTs fail at higher SML speeds (2500 FPS plus) when striking bone at close range. Made the mistake of shooting a larger deer at 50-60 yards on the point of the shoulder (only shot presented) and the 300 grain SST disintegrated. Found bits of copper jacket at the entrance wound after a lot of tracking and a follow up shot. A shot placement problem. SSTs in my RemPac are accurate and perform fine on broadside shots, however,..... Now use only solids like Barnes, hoping for the best shot placement, but planning for the worst.

Have had SSTs fail at higher SML speeds (2500 FPS plus) when striking bone at close range. Made the mistake of shooting a larger deer at 50-60 yards on the point of the shoulder (only shot presented) and the 300 grain SST disintegrated. Found bits of copper jacket at the entrance wound after a lot of tracking and a follow up shot. A shot placement problem. SSTs in my RemPac are accurate and perform fine on broadside shots, however,..... Now use only solids like Barnes, hoping for the best shot placement, but planning for the worst.

My kind of thinking! The bonded Fury bullets SHOULD hold up well also, but may come with a bit more damage than the monolithics.

I use the fury bullets in my 357 maximum and in a smokeless build and on both the bullets are devastating and most the deer I’ve taken with either haven’t made it more than 10yds. Highly recommend!

I shoot a lot of Dennis's 300 gr. tipped Fury's (.452 sized to fit) out of my .45 smoke less muzzle loader with excellent accuracy. These are sized to fit and ride the lands when seating......NO sabot. With the right charge they obturate and fill the grooves for proper stabilization. I have worked with Dennis testing his various configurations and the tipped Fury is a great bullet.

I installed a MGM BP .45 barrel on my Encore last fall and hunted with it during season. I was using Fury .40 225 grain bullets smooth blue sabot and took 2 deer. The load was 110gr. volume BH209 and I believe the velocity was around 2100-2200. Opening day at daylight a buck appeared 18 feet from my blind and I took him.The Fury held together and exited with some rib bone with it. Second deer was at 165 yds. and held together and exited. I am sold on them as I have had SST's blow up too many times and ruin meat, or fail to expand. I have some 250 grain .40's and 275 grain .401's I will try next. The bullets are well made and perform great.

Back