209 Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
I was all set to use musket caps. I bought the breech plug for musket caps and payed a stupid price for musket caps. I just found out that the CVA musket cap breech plug is made in one piece. There isn't a musket cap nipple that can be removed. How are we suppose to clean the flame channel? What a dumb setup.

So, i'm desperate to buy some 209 primers. I don't know where else to look than online. I spent 3 hours looking for caps they would ship and found nothing. All the stores that had the primers were store pick up only. Even if they were a business that shipped before covid. I don't get it. Why won't they ship now?

So, does anybody know where I can buy some that will ship to me? Any kind of 209 will work because i'm using Pyro. If you don't want to post it on the forum. Please PM me.

I can't imagine a worse plug. Is it throw away after 20 shots? What are guys doing in the northwest who have to use It?

If its one piece its pretty much self cleaning, you can run a pipe cleaner thru them but not really necessary.
the white breech plugs are one solid piece and they work fine.

If its one piece its pretty much self cleaning, you can run a pipe cleaner thru them but not really necessary.
the white breech plugs are one solid piece and they work fine.

We have to run a drill in the flame channel to clean the regular breech plug.

Hey, I just thought of something. The carbon build up in the normal CVA breech plug is from the 209 primers. Would I get that with a musket cap?

It does somewhat and we use a nipple pick to clear it out. What I worry about is the BP still has that big flame channel that I won't be able to clean. If the flame channel was the size of the nipple hole all the way I could use a pipe cleaner. I'm sure it's not. CVA would take the easy way out and use a regular breech plug and attach the part that holds a musket cap. So, that big channel is impossible to clean.

I'll call CVA tomorrow and see what they say. If it sounds like it will work i'm fine using musket caps. Especially, since I had to pay $59 to buy 200 Schuetzen musket caps. :(

Musket cap will work in the CVA breech plug. I really have never had an issue with that problem. You are correct at some point after so many shots the flash hole will erode and require a new BP but that is a couple 100 shots down the road.

I was all set to use musket caps. I bought the breech plug for musket caps and payed a stupid price for musket caps. I just found out that the CVA musket cap breech plug is made in one piece. There isn't a musket cap nipple that can be removed. How are we suppose to clean the flame channel? What a dumb setup.

So, i'm desperate to buy some 209 primers. I don't know where else to look than online. I spent 3 hours looking for caps they would ship and found nothing. All the stores that had the primers were store pick up only. Even if they were a business that shipped before covid. I don't get it. Why won't they ship now?

So, does anybody know where I can buy some that will ship to me? Any kind of 209 will work because i'm using Pyro. If you don't want to post it on the forum. Please PM me.
gun broker is loaded with them. If money doesn't matter you can get some. I never looked there until tonight and I bought several thousand.

Guys don't pay those crazy ass prices. My LGS has a ton of musket caps for what looks like $8.99 or $9.99 a hundred. 'd have to check for sure. Where are you located? I can easily pick them up for you and get them to you somehow and even if we have to pay the Hazmat fee it's way cheaper than what's online. I'm in the store twice a week looking for rifle and pistol primers so let me know if you need help.

Guys don't pay those crazy ass prices. My LGS has a ton of musket caps for what looks like $8.99 or $9.99 a hundred. 'd have to check for sure. Where are you located? I can easily pick them up for you and get them to you somehow and even if we have to pay the Hazmat fee it's way cheaper than what's online. I'm in the store twice a week looking for rifle and pistol primers so let me know if you need help.

I'm looking for 209 primers. I have musket caps.

Check with UPS/FEDEX. 209s, musket caps, #11s, don't need a hazmat fee. They ship as "ORM-D" (Other Regulated Material). They just can't ship with the USPS. If you ship them you will have to print the ORM-D placard to put on the package.

Cool. I can only get musket caps right now. I may have a hundred T7 209'if someone needed them badly but shipping just one card may not be worth it.

Check with UPS/FEDEX. 209s, musket caps, #11s, don't need a hazmat fee. They ship as "ORM-D" (Other Regulated Material). They just can't ship with the USPS. If you ship them you will have to print the ORM-D placard to put on the package.

That doesn't seem to be the case. I bought musket caps from Bass Pro and Dixie. I got charged Hazmat from both. I would think they know the laws.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...Red>+$30+HAZMAT+FEE+APPLIES++LIMIT+OF+2<FONT>

That doesn't seem to be the case. I bought musket caps from Bass Pro and Dixie. I got charged Hazmat from both. I would think they know the laws.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...Red>+$30+HAZMAT+FEE+APPLIES++LIMIT+OF+2<FONT>

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/173.63
I would call UPS, and remember, Bass Pro/Cabelas won't direct ship a ML to Michigan either. They don't know it all. Powder, pellets, live ammo needs hazmat. It may also have to do with quantity. Here's the link.

Back