209 primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I found 7 trays of Federal 209 shotshell primers the other day. They were with a rifle/pistol reloading press and a really old set of Lee powder/shot measures, a complete set along with the Lee loading chart.

I've had a few hundred each of Winchester 209 and and a few hundred Cheddite 209 primers, so these 700 make me feel rich. I also got some fishing stuff....$50.00. Thinking I got a preety decent deal.

LOL I wanted to shoot this morning but it was 87 at 9:00 AM so that fell apart. Sweat in the eyes while trying to look thru a scope is not fun and then barrel cooling would take a couple days per shot.

The long range forecast is for more of the same. The weather service has been spot on for the hot within the last two weeks, however their weekend rain chances for the last four weekends have been a bust. We haven't had rain now for six weeks. But I do have plenty of primers now.

So far, with my limited experience, Chedite 209 primers have hit every time I pull the trigger. But I get the feeling they are not considered "great" primers. I bought a 1000 pack some time ago and unless they start acting stupid, I'm gonna shoot em till I run out.

Is there something I'm missing?

I base my comments on field performance.... meaning have I killed deer while using them. CCI, Federal and Winchesters have all killed deer and at very cold temps. I have not had the occasion to shoot a deer yet with the Cheddites let alone at very cold temps. When I do and they've been used to do so in the very cold I'll add them to the list with the others. No offense but I'm one of those "proof's in the puddin" guys.

The Cheddites shoot fine in two of my guns, the Accura V2 and the Optima pistol, without any blow-by. Haven't had the occasion to shoot the cheddites in the Kodiak .45 or the smokeless Patriot and probably won't bother now that I have enough sure shooters in the Federals and the Winnies..

LOL I wanted to shoot this morning but it was 87 at 9:00 AM so that fell apart. Sweat in the eyes while trying to look thru a scope is not fun and then barrel cooling would take a couple days per shot.

The long range forecast is for more of the same. The weather service has been spot on for the hot within the last two weeks, however their weekend rain chances for the last four weekends have been a bust. We haven't had rain now for six weeks. But I do have plenty of primers now.
Damn mrtom I need to go with you

Latest posts

Back