.22 LR Problems and Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a Savage Mark ii bolt-action, .22 LR and it has driven me crazy since day 1. It shoots very accurately, but cycles terribly. Bolt sticks and at least 30 percent of the time it jams...either fails to extract or fails to load. I've cleaned the thing thoroughly and am VERY tempted to just sell it and get a different .22 LR. Anyone have this gun and have any suggestions for why it is cycling so badly?

Second question: I am not interested in a semi-auto, but does anyone have a rec for a-not-too expensive .22 for squirrel hunting? Does anybody make an adult size single shot?

Last edited:
I have a Ruger 77-22 that is very reliable. Maybe take a look at those? You might also try a number of different brands of ammo, some guns are just picky.

Are you having the problems with a variety of ammo in the savage? Some of my rimfire hate hollowpoints. Some dont like Norma ammo of any type.
I've tried Federal and CCI- several different varieties...problems with all of them. I took off the ejector and cleaned it...the internet has lots of complaints about this. Sigh. I have a Ruger .350 Legend and have been very happy with it. A Ruger bolt action is a good idea. I like the look of the Tikka but it is expensive.

The 44 and 144 series guns were the poor man's answer to the 37 Remington, the H&R 12, and the Winchester 52. The 44 series began as a military trainer and went through 4 series in the civilian version. A through D with improvements in each series. They came with factory peeps and changeable front blades. Except for the original 44US, they came factory drilled and tapped.
I was able to purchase new at wholesale for 13 years. The only 22 rifles that followed me home were older Mossbergs.

Need to check the chamber. Any out of the ordinary scratches on spent cases?
Load a single round but don’t fire it . See how it extracts. Marks ?
I‘m wondering if the firing pin dimpled the chamber rim somehow.Like dry firing with no fired case in the chamber.
Other. Piece of case separated stuck in chamber? Pushed into neck area?
Just some initial thoughts.

Last edited:
Ive had this problem a couple times. Last time was with a New Ruger 350 legend. Bolt cycled like crap, always sticking. Slick a glass now.
Get some JB bore paste, cover the bolt with it. Put bolt back in rifle and cycle bolt 100 times, clean action then try shooting it. If not smoother repeat with JB. I normally do this to break in new rifles.

Attachments

• B26A18E7-101A-4079-9A55-FEB24EE5371E.jpeg
    B26A18E7-101A-4079-9A55-FEB24EE5371E.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 6
Back