.22 LR Problems and Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ruger precision is a tack driver, JUST put a decent scope on it. The big pluss is you can get a 25 round clip with metal feed lips. This is the best bang for your buck.

The problem you have is discussed in length on Rimfire Central. Sad to say it is a common problem that can be fixed. I have a Savage 93, 22wmr and it has been a great rifle. I also have some of the previously mentioned Remingtons,Marlins and Mossbergs but that doesn't fix your problem. My brother has the same rifle as you and it has been a great rifle also. Head over to RFC and I think you can get it going.

I don't know what your budget is for buying a rim fire rifle. But if it is a decent amount and you want the most accurate rim fire rifle that will last generations. Then you buy a Anschutz rifle made in Germany. Although Savage has bought Anschutz the original and accurate models are still made in the original factory in Germany. I have a 22 win mag model 1516 and there isn't ANY rim fire rifle more accurate or better built. Anschutz are the rifles used in the Olympics by every Country. That alone tells you how accurate they are. I've had my 22win mag over 35yrs and still shoots hole to hole at 100yds. It's had thousands of rounds thru it and goes with me on my trap line every day in the ATV Y-brackets no case. I don't clean it like you should either and gets oiled maybe 5× a year. But at 200yds I can still group all 4 shots inside a quarter. Keep an eye out on Gun Broker for a good buy if not in a hurry for a rifle. Then you can get an awesome gun for the same price or close to an American rim fire rifle. You won't regret the purchase I can Gaurantee you that for sure.

I have no advice to offer, but I hope you can figure out what's wrong and get it remedied.
Ten years ago I was looking to buy a .22 LR for kids with a good trigger for as little as possible. Ended up buying a Savage MKII Youth, serial no. 161xxxx. I also have only shot a couple hundred rounds through it, but it has always cycled flawlessly. I usually just used the (formerly) cheap Walmart Federal .22's. I never did any serious target shooting on paper, but the one time I hunted prairie dogs with it, it seemed to especially like CCI Velocitors, hitting accurately out to 100 yards with open sights. I love the adjustable Accu-Trigger and the tiny front bead sight. It's a great little shooter.
You were asking for advice about a single shot rifle - have you tried loading your Savage single shot (without the magazine)? I tried mine and it's a bit tricky to load, but doable, and extracts just fine.

My single shot (no magazine real single shot) Savage Mode 30 likes CCIs. Never had a problem with any ammo.

Find you a marlin 39A lever action those little guns are amazing accurate and the cool factor is there. My dad God bless him loved mine so much I gave it to him. Only gun I've ever regretted getting rid of.

My 39a is the one gun I will keep until the day I quit shooting forever.

Latest posts

Back