270gr DCSP 100 yard expansion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a few of these left, so I thought I would test one at 100yd for expansion.
Again I say I am not trying to hijack Ron's bullet tests. To be honest I am only interested in testing the bullets that I either have used or will consider using.
It is because of this forum and the information shared here, that I am really taking more of an interest in bullet performance. Bullet performance is more important than some realize,and I was once 1 of those who didn't truly realize until the last 4 or 5 years.
Sorry for rambling.
Anyway to the test. Sorry no pics of the setup, but the setup was basically the same as my 240gr xtp mag test.

Load was:
270gr DCSP
Harvester crush rib green sabot
100gr Bh209

I need to mention that I used this bullet in 2019 using 90gr of Bh209. When I had posted that it was my intention to use 90gr of Bh209, Ron had suggested using more than 90gr based on his experience.

Here's some pics of bullet after it was caught in the 5th water jug.

20211213_100449.jpg
20211213_100528.jpg
20211213_104148.jpg
Bullet expansion was slightly over ⅝ inch.

Here is a comparison pic of before and after.

20211213_104609.jpg

The Speer bullets with soft points or shallow HPs are just impressive in my book. At the price point its hard to find a better bullet. Only thing harder is finding Speers in stock even before the madness.

I am asking about the soft point more so than the hollow point. I might get some of the hollow points, but really interested in the soft points now that I've seen how the 270gr performs at 100yds.

I am asking about the soft point more so than the hollow point. I might get some of the hollow points, but really interested in the soft points now that I've seen how the 270gr performs at 100yds.
Yes, that is what you asked. Poor reading comprehension on my part 🤦‍♂️
I do not have any experience with the soft points, however... it wouldn't surprise me if they did well. I've never shot a soft point on a deer, but I've killed them with 4 different HP speer bullets, and all have worked well. The 270 looks like it did a good job in your test.

Looks like it works to me, do you happen to know the length of the bullet?

I am hunting with that bullet this year and I can say that if the deer or hogs would just give me a shot I believe that is a good bullet. I haven't jug tested it yet but it worked out of a moderately loaded 44 magnum carbine so I would guess it would do at least as well going another 100 fps faster.

Looks like it works to me, do you happen to know the length of the bullet?
I looked at Midway USA and the Speer website and couldn't find a bullet length listed.
I am hunting with that bullet this year and I can say that if the deer or hogs would just give me a shot I believe that is a good bullet. I haven't jug tested it yet but it worked out of a moderately loaded 44 magnum carbine so I would guess it would do at least as well going another 100 fps faster.
I took a mature buck with this bullet last year at 35 to 40 yards. After the shot he ran within 10yds of my stand and I could see blood spraying from both sides. Only went a total of 50yrd before expiring. One of the best blood trails I have ever seen. As it has been said before, bullet placement plays a big role in blood trails.

Latest posts

Back