.32 powder question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braintanned

Reaction score
Greetings-I have bought a .32 cal sidelock with 24" 1:48 barrel to hunt small game with 70 grn ball-ets. I have heard of guys using 2F powder in revolvers,and was wondering if I could use the same in my .32-I happen to have pyrodex left from before I switched to 777 in my .50 cal and thought if it would not be a bad idea,I could use it up in my new little rifle. (?) thanks,Steve

You probably could use it, but in the small bore it wouldn't burn as well as the smaller grained 3F/P. I wouldn't use it for hunting.

I'll pick up some of the right stuff -I dont need to get rid of the other-just a thought. thanks!

The trouble with many of the .32 caliber rifles is they fowl out real fast. When you use the larger grain powders like the 2f they fowl out faster and will get to the point where you almost need to break them down and clean them in order to continue shooting them.

That is one reason when I was considering a small bore rifle, I decided to look into the .40 caliber Green Mountian Barrel. While it is much larger then the .32 caliber it is not all that much larger. I have read reports of excellent accuracy with them.

Did you get a Tradition's Crocket rifle?

it is a deerhunter model-I went for a cheap as possible,but am actually very impressed with it as far as cool looking grain in the stock,and nice wood to metal fit and finish. although they they look to be easily broke,I am impressed with the fiber optic sights too.

Well that's great to hear. I thought about getting a Green Mountain IBS barrel for the Renegade in .32 caliber then I heard all these horror stories about how they fowl out easy, so I decided to go for the .40 caliber. I better wait a while since I bought two new rifles this month. One should never push their luck... :lol:

If you are getting excessive fouling with a 32 caliber it is probably due to too much powder or too slow a powder.

No matter the caliber if you use too much or too slow a powder you will have excessive fouling.

Stick to 30 grains or less of 3f black powder or the cleaner Pyrodex P in 30 grain volume measure and your 32 and you should not have excessive fouling.

A 30 grain volume charge of either of the above powders will give you around 1500 fps with a 70 grain ballet and about 350 foot pounds of muzzle energy. This will make a great small game load, it is essentially an energy deadringer for the 22 magnum.

RAZORBACK said:
If you are getting excessive fouling with a 32 caliber it is probably due to too much powder or too slow a powder.
That's my experience with about 1/2 dozen 32's. Another source of fouling is too much lube. Every 32 I've messed with has done well with 15-30 grains of 3F, #0 buckshot, thin cotton patch with just enough lube to keep the patch from igniting.

I've got a Traditions Crockett in .32 and use 25gr Pyrodex P (3F) with a PRB. Perfect load for that rifle. Stick with the 3F powder. I think you'll like it.

I have a .32 Crockett rifle that I use 20 grains of KIK Fffg in for most shooting. Using Stumpy's moosemilk, or Lehigh Valley, as a patch lube, it will shoot all day without swabbing. I use 30 grains of KIK Fffg in a GM .40cal barrel, with the same lubes and it shoots just as cleanly.

talk about cheap to shoot.. 20 grains of powder and buck shot for the ball. Wow.. a person could shoot all summer for under $20 bucks. I might have to invest in one of them. Maybe see if Green Mountain makes that in a flintlock for my Hawkins Flintlock. That would be a real kick to shoot. :lol:

cayuga said:
talk about cheap to shoot.. 20 grains of powder and buck shot for the ball. Wow.. a person could shoot all summer for under $20 bucks. I might have to invest in one of them. Maybe see if Green Mountain makes that in a flintlock for my Hawkins Flintlock. That would be a real kick to shoot. :lol:
I don't think they make one in flint. However..... I've taken a cap/perc Green Mtn and converted it to flint. Its a pretty easy process. Hand tools and about 1 hour of time. It you want to go that way, contact me and I'll supply details.

Back