Opinions/Advice/?'s Wanted

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a .40 caliber 13/16" x 32" barrel with a 1:48 twist on my Under-Hammer. Its being set up with a peep/scope mount. I got it cause i got tired of waiting on a barrel i had ordered in a .40 caliber 7/8" x 32" 1:24 twist. Its still never gotten done, at this point it may never come. Anyway when it does finally show up i will have it to build a rifle for. I don't know if i want to have it as a change out set up for my Under-Hammer. I think putting a scope on each barrel n changing out will give me the blues on keeping the scopes lined perfect so i don't have to have ongoing sight in sessions. Maybe make a carbine style flintlock that shoots conicals. Build a 2nd Under-Hammer or a drum built percussion rifle. To really be able to use that fast of twist i may need to scope the barrel anyway.

Well after i got advice, i have decided to make this a change out barrel with my Under-Hammer. I have a BP to fit it. I will put a Marlin flat base scope mount on it. I will make it my # 1 tick toter killing barrel.

Will you need a cantilever scope mount on the barrel to get the scope back over the action for proper eye relief?

Or use a scout type scope made to forward mount?

In theory with the scope attached to the barrel swapping barrels will change poi/poa about as much as swapping a contender barrel or uppers on an ar15 - not at all. Only real trick is to hopefully have either bedding or firm take downs that are pillar supported

Note you can "temporarily" bed a rifle action/barrel by puuting aluminum tape on the metal. This would let you have two barrels that fit repeatedly into the stock the same way. I say "temporarily" because I did a 10/22 back in 2011 and until I swapped stocks last year I never touched it

If you need to have the sope fairly far forward you will want a LER or perhaps even a pistol scope. Also if you can use legally a red dot doesnt have an eye relief to worry about - moubt it wherever

Will you need a cantilever scope mount on the barrel to get the scope back over the action for proper eye relief?

Or use a scout type scope made to forward mount?
I don't think so. I am having it drilled & tapped for the ace in the Hole peep/scope mount just in front of the Under-Hammer action. On this barrel i will also D & T 2 under-lugs that use the machine screws to attach to barrel also it has the forearm screws into the under-lugs.

In theory with the scope attached to the barrel swapping barrels will change poi/poa about as much as swapping a contender barrel or uppers on an ar15 - not at all. Only real trick is to hopefully have either bedding or firm take downs that are pillar supported

Note you can "temporarily" bed a rifle action/barrel by puuting aluminum tape on the metal. This would let you have two barrels that fit repeatedly into the stock the same way. I say "temporarily" because I did a 10/22 back in 2011 and until I swapped stocks last year I never touched it

If you need to have the sope fairly far forward you will want a LER or perhaps even a pistol scope. Also if you can use legally a red dot doesnt have an eye relief to worry about - moubt it wherever
I am going to pin the forearm on the barrel. It has its own BP n installs using the set screws into the action. I will D & T the scope mount on the barrel. Then i will have 2 ,40 cal barrels, one a prb shooter & the other a very good conical shooter.

I tried a red dot sight last year, and I liked it!
Your barrel mounted base would work well for one.
Your ace in the hole would also work well for a sighting aid when using open sights.
The ghost ring will make open sights clearer for old eyes.

Yes sir, i do have couple of red dots of the lower end that work. I have couple lower end scopes, Loopy 2x7 Muzzy/shotgun model, Simmons Pro Hunter 4x12, also a Bushnell Elite 1.5x6 with a #4 German fine xhairs.

Back