.375 H&H Improved Magnum conversion to muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
I have a .375 H&H Improved Magnum with a 26 higher grade fluted Douglas barrel, with a target crown. The barrel has been Mag na ported and cryogenically cold tempered. The trigger has been worked on below 3 pounds. It has a Mark X Mauser Whitworth action. It has a Leupold 2.5x8 Vari X III scope, with Conetrol rings and bases. There are two stocks, one a Brown graphite and the other a Richard's Microfit, glass and pillar bedded, cross bolted with a Limbsaver recoil pad and extra weight in the butt. The barrel at the muzzle is .769. I do not shoot it often. The question. Could it be converted to a .38 caliber muzzleloader under a design similar to the original Savage ML 1 series using a modified breech plug and say a .380 "case" with a large rifle primer or a shortened .375 case and a large rifle primer to provide the ignition? Some of the things are in place to make the .38 caliber.
Smokeeter swages bullets so I think I could swage .375 projectiles to fit. The real issue, is this more complex and expensive than just rebarrling my Savage MLII or should I just sell the .375 and use the money on the sabotless muzzleloading project?
In all fairness I believe the way for me to go is the .40 caliber barrel switch but this forum provides alot of fertile minds and ideas. Thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thanks

just to have the time an money to do all the projects. clint

Sounds like a wonderful rifle. Would be a shame to change it now. I think and it just my opinion that you would be much better off $$ wise to sell it and start from scratch.

Rifleman said:
Sounds like a wonderful rifle. Would be a shame to change it now. I think and it just my opinion that you would be much better off $$ wise to sell it and start from scratch.

I agree 100%. Why not load it with a 235gr Speer and pop a whitetail with it!

I live in a State that does not permit shooting deer with centerfire rifles.

Rifle Conversion

jims said:
I live in a State that does not permit shooting deer with centerfire rifles.
Jim,
I feel your pain - I live in IN where cf rifles are not allowed. I had a Ruger No. 1 that I converted (obviously a different creature than your case) and have never looked back. If you like the rifle (for whatever reason) and you have no plans on "ever" using it again for what you originally purchased the gun for, then give it some thought. Of course, given the right conversion, you probably could do just about anything with a good smokeless mz load! Again, it all goes back to your sentimental attachment to the gun itself. What you propose is very interesting - I am curious to hear more thoughts from the experts as to the possibilities. Whatever you do, good luck!

jims said:
...should I just sell the .375 and use the money on the sabotless muzzleloading project? Thanks

Jims,

I have had several .375s ( the .375 Ruger is the newest), and I recommend you sell this fine rifle to someone who can use it. For example I think it would go well on the 24 Hr Campfire or Accurate Reloading. If not, Accurate Arms is a good auction site.

jim

One of my faults is that I am an "acquirer". Once I have a firearm I seldom get rid of it. That is why I guess I have a safe full that do not see much actual duty but it is still hard for me to part with them.
The .375 did see some use though, my uncle brought it as a back up gun to Alaska when he was there for 6 weeks.

Back