4 Savage Rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Well as most of you know I am involved with the Rodeheaver Boys Ranch in Palatka, Florida. This is a non-denominatiol, non- govt funded, Christian oriented ranch for boys who do not have a home to go live on a long term basis. They are also active in the Boys Scouts of America and 4H. Sometime back with the help of Randy Wakeman, Savage Arms graciously decided to step on board as a supporter of the shooting sports safety program, allowing us to buy guns for the program at a much reduced price. Recently we recieved several rifles from Savage, and I was able to shoot 4 of them, testing for accuracy and sighting them in. The rifles were:
Savage youth rifle package deal,synthetic, with Simmons 3x9 scopes. 2 of the rifles were .243 and one was a .223.
The other rifle I tested was a SS/Lam 17 HMR heavy barrel, with a BSA sweet 17 scope.
I am happy to report the .243s were a real shooters. Both rifles would shoot MOA at 100 yds with factory Sellior and Belliot ammo (3 shot groups), and the scopes were just fine for our application. No problems with sight in at all. The .223 was just fine as well, shooting MOA with Rem 50 gr hp factory ammo. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised at how well the rifles shot.
The 17 HMR was a barn burner. This rifle was very accurate. It would shoot right at 1/2 moa at 100 yds, with many time two shots touching. It left me feeling that it wanted to shot 3 shots in one hole, I just needed more time to get used to it.
Using targets supplied by Grouse, it was easy for me to remember all the support you guys have given every time I asked. Thanks alot.
Now to the real important stuff. :lol:
I was able to open the range for the boys to shoot on two different days. One day for about 1/2 the day, and last Saturday we shot all day long!
Using the rifles from Savage and some others on hand , the boys went through over 2000 rounds of ammo! Calibers shot were .22lr, 17Hmr ( this turned out to be the favorite of many of the fellas) .223, .243, and 8mm mauser. A safe and great time was had by all.

100_0403.jpg

100_0400.jpg

Good Job!!!!!!!!!

The Christian Mission Field is a wonderful thing, it can take place in any style of event- even on the rifle range.
Thank you for using your gift and talent.

I hate to use a cliche like priceless, but that is what you've given these youngsters Rifleman. The opportunity to shoot like that in controlled surroundings and with expert instruction is priceless. I'm sure most of these boys would never have had an opportunity like that without your effort and those that share this mission with you.

could just be a glock :wink:

I really don't know what to say about all the kind comments other then thanks,I wasn't lookin for all that, I just figured guys here would like to hear about how well the new rifles shot and see some pics of the boys shootin. But thank you, I appreciate the support.

Rman:

I noticed that the young gentleman in the bottom pic doesn't have any safety glasses (on). (you got your ears in?) Do you need safety glasses and earplugs for down there? If so, let me know before the weekend & I'll see what I can bring down.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Scott I think that picture was snapped about 1 minute before I saw he was missing his glasses. My helper that day was Teddy, seen standing in the photo and he was new at helping on the range. Anyway rest assured we got him some glasses pronto. Sometimes the fellas are so excited when it is their turn they forget their glasses. What you don't see in the photos is the warm up bench where there are about 10 more boys waiting their turn. Safety glasses, and ear protection we always need more off, sometimes it is hard to keep track of with all the boys.

Sorry so late in responding to this post :oops: I bet those boys really look up to you. How many armadillos did you take out with the Glock???
Good job Dwight its so nice to see your soft side!!

Great report Dwight! :yeah: :prayer: Excellent job!!!

Are you taking donations? How can we help?

JJ

Jimmy-

Nice avatar! HA! :shock:

VENISONEATR said:
Doohan said:
Jimmy-
Nice avatar! HA! :shock:

WOW that's a bit harsh.... :huh?: I LOVE it :mrgreen: Who did that??? :shock:

Who do you think? Somebody needed to recognize your powerful pig popping precision. :D

No need to wear body armor around Jimmy, a good kevlar helmet does wonders!

Back