45 Cherokee

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1874sharpsshooter

Reaction score
A friend had one in his closet for years. He's not much on muzzleloaders and wanted to get rid of it. I decided I better give it a good home . No pics at the moment but will take some soon

On another note, check out the link for a beautiful collaboration
Between Lyman and Pedersoli . This may have to go on my wish list .
It comes out this summer
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/muzzle-loaders/1878sharps.php

The TC cherokee and seneca rifle are sweet little guns. I do think they are best in 32 or 36 caliber than 45. Don't try to run the kind of loads in a Cherokee 45 that you would put in a TC Hawken. A lot of these guns have split stocks from shooting heavy loads. TC used 70 grains of 2F Goex and a .440 round ball as their test load on Seneca 45's. That's a good load and I wouldn't go much higher, with 80 being max with that little gun and round balls. If you don't have one, you might want to get a copy of the TC manual that covers loads for your rifle.

I have and shoot a Seneca. I just love it. It is not a magnum gun so don't try to turn it into one.
The 45, Seneca or Cherokee, is the most common you will encounter and is the lest expensive. The 36 is more rare and commands a greater premium. But the 32 cal is in a class by itself. I even doubted it was ever a mass produced Thompson Center gun. There seems to be a very few of them, however, and will be the highest in value of any Seneca/Cherokee model.
The Cherokee is close to the Seneca but is slightly different. It is more like comparing a Hawken to a Renegade. Still is is no magnum either and should not be used with heavy loads.
I have personally never seen a 32 cal therefore never handled one or shot one. I have not even run across one for sale in person. And I am a person that looks for them. But I have seen reports others tell about them.

Latest posts

Back