Black Powder Shooter new here from Kentucky

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark (“BPMS”),

So great to see you on this forum now, too! Love the vids! 😀 Keep on doing what you have been doing. You provide a fun and entertaining look at our past time. I appreciate all you do!

Tim (“UndeadPoet”)

Mark (“BPMS”),

So great to see you on this forum now, too! Love the vids! 😀 Keep on doing what you have been doing. You provide a fun and entertaining look at our past time. I appreciate all you do!

Tim (“UndeadPoet”)
Thanks for the support....its this crazy BP hobby that keeps me going....LOL

Yes sir I am. Lived here thru high school and moved back after a military career.
That's pretty cool....when I first got married in 1986, my bride and I moved to Tallahassee for about 2 years. Loved the warmer weather there compared to KY in the winter months. We had plenty of visitors from KY during those colder months of the year.
We lived off the truck route up in the NW part of the city on a street called Autumn Woods Way.
I wasn't into M/L until 10 years ago. Favorite hobby then was metal detecting. I went scuba diving with 2 other fellows looking for jewelry in those swimming holes south of town. We also detected the WWII camp ( Camp Gordon Johnson ? ) in Carabelle Florida looking for WWII relics.
We also went waterskiing on Lake Jackson ...just a few miles from the house. It was a very memorable time for the both of us when we lived there.

That all ended when we moved back to KY in 1988.
Someday...I'd love to make trip back down just to see how things has changed in 35+ years.
This is my bride & I from "Back in the Day".....LOL

Have a blessed day....
10665360_10203017412827738_4544089093005651737_n.jpg

I'd like to tell a little about myself. I spent 30+ years in the metal detecting hobby detecting Civil War skirmish sites in KY, 100's of older homes in my local area, carnival sites, picnic grounds, WW II camps in Florida, SCUBA diving looking for jewelry in swimming holes around Tallahassee Florida, etc. from 1979 until 2013-14.
The picture below was taken at a former 110 year old carnival site that gave up 1000's of older coins:

View attachment 30462

In 2013, I had my bride's ( Mrs BPMS ) brother give me an o' black powder gun. It was a Traditions Woodsman Hawken percussion rifle, 1/2 can of pyrodex and about 30-35 .490 round balls. I also received very minimal instructions on how to load and shoot it. I had balls stuck in the barrel, dry balled many times, broken ramrods.... I finally figured out how to pull a nipple & add powder behind the ball and shoot it out. I was so afraid of trying that the 1st time...I actually hung the gun in a tree, tied a long string to the trigger, stood way back & pulled the trigger. Since the gun was hanging downwards from a tree, I used a metal detector to ensure I got the ball out by finding in the ground.

This gift somewhat ended my metal detecting hobby days. I LOVED shooting that cap rifle so much, I just about quit all other hobbies I was involved with. Just after Christmas 2013, I mentioned to Mrs. BPMS that I'm interested in a flintlock rifle. While visiting Louisville KY, I stopped in the Cabela's to check out the flint guns. They had one Pedersoli KY gun on the shelf. I asked for discount & the employee gave me one. I bought it and 2 hawks & out the door we went.
It was a pretty gun for the first few months:

View attachment 30463

With all the scratches, nicks, being dropped, lying in bottom of canoes, etc...it doesn't look like that anymore.

One day, my daughter came home from high school and asked if I would help her make a commercial for a video editing class she was taking. We put together a commercial & she received an "A" for her work. I told myself...if she can do this, so can I. I started filming crude shooting videos and Hi-jacked her Youtube channel posting shooting videos...LOL
She came home one day from school and asked me NOT to put any videos on her channel because she was tired of all the comments "blowing" up her phone.

OK...I quit.

In October 2016, I started posting my own videos to the newly formed Black Powder Maniac Shooter Youtube Channel. If you haven't watched anything on it, its a channel full of wacky shooting of unusual things such as metal animal ( zoo critter ) targets, fidget spinners, BigFoot often gets spanked, magazines, ricochet shooting, shooting fully loaded cans of pop with the ladies, visiting other states and video taping new friends for videos, going to multiple trade shows, visiting the NMLRA events and showing others some really cool guns and anything else I can think of that sounds interesting related to the BP hobby. I have 10+ videos ready to post on the channel and filming new ones every week. I keep the channel clean of vulgarity, etc..... because I have lots of families tell me they allow their kids watch the videos. That's humbling......

Zoo critters....they don't look so pretty now...LOL

View attachment 30464

Occasionally, I talk to middle school groups, D.A.R meetings, etc. near my hometown about the frontier life and hardships they occurred living in KY during the 1780's:

View attachment 30465

In Mefford's Fort, a 1780's log cabin near my home I often stop by and talk to school kids:

View attachment 30466

I am now in a hobby I wished I started in 30+ years ago. Oh well, better late than not at all.
Ask Mrs BPMS, she will tell you I eat, breathe & sleep talking about these BP guns & the entire hobby as a whole. When we take a vacation these days....I always try to coordinate a day of shooting with a club or a family in another state for a fun future video project. Hope you guys don't mind a fun video or two being posted here occasionally.
That's enough for now.....Thanks for reading ..... have a blessed day.

Little late to reply to your intro, surprised to see you just getting in. I follow your yt tales each week.Your intro gave me the background I did not see on your weekly videos. Enjoy those and welcome here Mark.
I am a observer here and had to reset my pw to reply to your post🙃

Just noticed your post......Welcome! I'm just down the road in Nicholas County; farm is on 68 between Blue Licks and Boone's last home cabin in KY.

That's pretty cool....when I first got married in 1986, my bride and I moved to Tallahassee for about 2 years. Loved the warmer weather there compared to KY in the winter months. We had plenty of visitors from KY during those colder months of the year.
We lived off the truck route up in the NW part of the city on a street called Autumn Woods Way.
I wasn't into M/L until 10 years ago. Favorite hobby then was metal detecting. I went scuba diving with 2 other fellows looking for jewelry in those swimming holes south of town. We also detected the WWII camp ( Camp Gordon Johnson ? ) in Carabelle Florida looking for WWII relics.
We also went waterskiing on Lake Jackson ...just a few miles from the house. It was a very memorable time for the both of us when we lived there.

That all ended when we moved back to KY in 1988.
Someday...I'd love to make trip back down just to see how things has changed in 35+ years.
This is my bride & I from "Back in the Day".....LOL

Have a blessed day....
View attachment 30975
A lot has changed from then. Lake Jackson has dried up a few times. The last time for more than a year, it's still not back to where it was. It's now illegal to treasure hunt on state property, cant even remove arrowheads.

Welcome from your neighbor state Indiana. I watch your you tube videos regularly. Keep up the good work.

Also welcome from Texas. I want to get to Kentucky sometime soon and see the sights.

I'd like to tell a little about myself. I spent 30+ years in the metal detecting hobby detecting Civil War skirmish sites in KY, 100's of older homes in my local area, carnival sites, picnic grounds, WW II camps in Florida, SCUBA diving looking for jewelry in swimming holes around Tallahassee Florida, etc. from 1979 until 2013-14.
The picture below was taken at a former 110 year old carnival site that gave up 1000's of older coins:

View attachment 30462

In 2013, I had my bride's ( Mrs BPMS ) brother give me an o' black powder gun. It was a Traditions Woodsman Hawken percussion rifle, 1/2 can of pyrodex and about 30-35 .490 round balls. I also received very minimal instructions on how to load and shoot it. I had balls stuck in the barrel, dry balled many times, broken ramrods.... I finally figured out how to pull a nipple & add powder behind the ball and shoot it out. I was so afraid of trying that the 1st time...I actually hung the gun in a tree, tied a long string to the trigger, stood way back & pulled the trigger. Since the gun was hanging downwards from a tree, I used a metal detector to ensure I got the ball out by finding in the ground.

This gift somewhat ended my metal detecting hobby days. I LOVED shooting that cap rifle so much, I just about quit all other hobbies I was involved with. Just after Christmas 2013, I mentioned to Mrs. BPMS that I'm interested in a flintlock rifle. While visiting Louisville KY, I stopped in the Cabela's to check out the flint guns. They had one Pedersoli KY gun on the shelf. I asked for discount & the employee gave me one. I bought it and 2 hawks & out the door we went.

View attachment 30463

With all the scratches, nicks, being dropped, lying in bottom of canoes, etc...it doesn't look like that anymore.

One day, my daughter came home from high school and asked if I would help her make a commercial for a video editing class she was taking. We put together a commercial & she received an "A" for her work. I told myself...if she can do this, so can I. I started filming crude shooting videos and Hi-jacked her Youtube channel posting shooting videos...LOL
She came home one day from school and asked me NOT to put any videos on her channel because she was tired of all the comments "blowing" up her phone.

OK...I quit.

In October 2016, I started posting my own videos to the newly formed Black Powder Maniac Shooter Youtube Channel. If you haven't watched anything on it, its a channel full of wacky shooting of unusual things such as metal animal ( zoo critter ) targets, fidget spinners, BigFoot often gets spanked, magazines, ricochet shooting, shooting fully loaded cans of pop with the ladies, visiting other states and video taping new friends for videos, going to multiple trade shows, visiting the NMLRA events and showing others some really cool guns and anything else I can think of that sounds interesting related to the BP hobby. I have 10+ videos ready to post on the channel and filming new ones every week. I keep the channel clean of vulgarity, etc..... because I have lots of families tell me they allow their kids watch the videos. That's humbling......

View attachment 30464

Occasionally, I talk to middle school groups, D.A.R meetings, etc. near my hometown about the frontier life and hardships they occurred living in KY during the 1780's:

View attachment 30465

In Mefford's Fort, a 1780's log cabin near my home I often stop by and talk to school kids:

View attachment 30466

I am now in a hobby I wished I started in 30+ years ago. Oh well, better late than not at all.
Ask Mrs BPMS, she will tell you I eat, breathe & sleep talking about these BP guns & the entire hobby as a whole. When we take a vacation these days....I always try to coordinate a day of shooting with a club or a family in another state for a fun future video project. Hope you guys don't mind a fun video or two being posted here occasionally.
Thanks for all the great videos you post. They are great to me because they are no baloney videos that focus on the fun aspect of shooting. Keep up the good work!

A lot has changed from then. Lake Jackson has dried up a few times. The last time for more than a year, it's still not back to where it was. It's now illegal to treasure hunt on state property, cant even remove arrowheads.
Just noticed your post......Welcome! I'm just down the road in Nicholas County; farm is on 68 between Blue Licks and Boone's last home cabin in KY.
WOW...that is REAL close...!
This area is loaded with cool history from the frontiersman era.

View attachment 30462

View attachment 30463

OK...I quit.

View attachment 30464

View attachment 30465

View attachment 30466

Hey mark I follow you on YouTube I just came across this on here I started reading it before I got very far I to it I told my wife I said he this guy sounds just like Mark from BPMS then I got down to the pictures I told her look it is mark guess she wasn't as excited as I was oh well anyway that was a very interesting story.

Back