.45 FL longrifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excess650

Reaction score
We got a break in the weather and it warmed into the 30s and low 40s today despite the snow cover. I decided to take advantage of the weather and shoot a bit. I took my .45 early Lancaster styled rifle just for some trigger time. Normally, I shoot fffg Goex, but had remnants of several cans of Swiss 1-1/2 and ffg and wanted to use them up. I poured them into a horn after mixing, and went to the range. I started with 60gr, upped the charge to 70gr, and then backed off to 50gr. This latter charge looked pretty good on paper at 50 yards, so I started shooting at "spots" on the bank at 100 yards. To my surprise, the PRBs seemed to group very closely at 100 yards, and just a few inches low. I was also pleased to find that the 50gr load could be shot seemingly indefinitely without the fouling becoming stiff. This has NOT been the case with my .58 and .62 flinters with Swiss, so I use Goex or KIK in them.

Today's lube was a 50/50 mix of olive and palm oil. Palm oil is normally congealed at room temperature(looks and feels like Crisco), but when melted and mixed with olive oil, the mixture remains liquid until below 50*F. I have several other mixes of palm, olive, and mink oil to try in comparison with mink oil alone. I've used palm oil alone in the past, and found it works well, but becomes very stiff when below 35*F.

A very interesting post. I never used the lube you mentioned. But if it shoots good, that's all that matters.

Coconut oil acts about the same. Congealed below about 73 deg. F

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back