.50 Cal Elk load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I decided to test my Accurate Molds #50-488M Bullets in my New Blued Green Mountain LRH Barrel this morning, I am playing around with Elk loads for the upcoming hunt. This bullet hardened up a bit shot really well from my Old Stainless GM LRH barrel i sold to forum member shguns, But up until this morning I hadn’t tried this bullet in my New Blued GM LRH barrel. This bullet has SERIOUS Potential :yeah:

Again The Bullets are Accurate Molds #50-488, They weigh 483 Grains using my 1-40 Alloy. I used store bought .54 Cal 1/8” Oxyoke brand Wool OP Wads for a tighter seal, The lube i am using here is a Fresh Bear Grease mixture lube :D Really soft, and SLIPPERY stuff! My powder charge was 85 Weight Grains of Swiss 2F powder. This load Grabs your attention :D
LiVjGc1.jpg

Target is 60 Yards from my Muzzle
0mdfEAi.jpg

I usually don’t put my Cold clean bore shot on target when i am shooting a Group, but since i am looking for an Elk hunting load it is important to know where the Cold bore is at, The Cold bore and my next 2 shots Clover leafed perfectly, my 5th shot was a VERY slight hangfire? It wasn’t bad, but it was there, I suspect that was my high shot? Since my first 3 shots proved my rifle was gonna shoot these new bullets I didn’t bother walking up and looking at the last 3 Shots. Shooting over my hood is less than ideal, There is quite a bit of “Flex” in my Toyota hood, I feel confident i can keep these all together from my Bench at this distance. Next is 100 yards, then 200
pABB1OO.jpg

Hope you kill a monster Elk with that rifle. Looking forward to upcoming range reports.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

"Shooting over my hood is less than ideal, There is quite a bit of “Flex” in my Toyota hood"....Idaholewis

How does the paint job hold up with all the blast out there?

MrTom said:
"Shooting over my hood is less than ideal, There is quite a bit of “Flex” in my Toyota hood"....Idaholewis

How does the paint job hold up with all the blast out there?

Tom, i use 2 Towels Draped over the whole hood, if you look close you can see the light blue one up front under the Muzzle, it goes all the way over to the passenger tire, I learned to do this after 1 shot a few years ago :D I much prefer shooting from my bench but I didn’t have it with me this morning. Over the Hood works in a pinch, But like i said there is quite a bit of “Flex” in the center of my Hood

Looks like your on track. I can't wait for you to lay the law done on one. Good luck my brother!!

Yep that is my exact load out of my White Bison. Well not exact..I 'm still shooting up a box of Bull Shop 460 grns. I think you like that bullet :wink: Any how, aim small miss small. Elk beware!

idahoron said:
Looks like your on track. I can't wait for you to lay the law done on one. Good luck my brother!!

Thank you Ron, This is a SUPER TOUGH Hunt, More like a “Needle in a Haystack” Hunt. This is the last year i will buy an Elk Tag here, At least with the intentions of Hunting Unit 1, I spend nearly everyday in the Woods here, these Elk in Unit 1 are almost a thing of the Past, The Moose are, I and MANY others don’t think the Moose could make a Comeback at this point? When i moved here 8 years ago you could EASILY count 20 Moose in a single evening on a Short drive, Bulls of every Category, Now you are lucky to see a Single Moose the entire year. Really Sad to see such AWESOME resources “Go Away” This place reminds me SO MUCH of the Wa Coast it sickens me. Did you and your Son Draw an Elk Tag this year?

Harleysboss said:
Yep that is my exact load out of my White Bison. Well not exact..I 'm still shooting up a box of Bull Shop 460 grns. I think you like that bullet :wink: Any how, aim small miss small. Elk beware!

I really like this #50-488M bullet :yeah: I like these “inset” Lube Grooves better than the Exterior bands, not exactly sure why? But i do :yeah: With the “inset Groove” The Bearing surface is the actual Body Diameter of the Bullet (If that makes sense?) with “Exterior” Bands The Bearing surface is the “Bands” with a Smaller Actual Bullet Body Diameter.

Here is this 50-488M bullet on the Right Beside My Bullshop Clone Bullet, The Bullshop bullet has Exterior Bands (Lube Grooves) I have had really good luck with both, But i prefer the “inset Lube Grooves” You have an AWESOME “inset Groove” bullet in .45 Cal, The Lyman Gould is “inset” as well
wTiqSmq.jpg

Idaholewis said:
Did you and your Son Draw an Elk Tag this year?

No elk tags for us this year. Jacob hasn't went on an elk hunt in many years.

Latest posts

Back