.58 Minie Balls

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweesdad

Reaction score
I am looking to cast Minie Balls for my .58 T/C Renegade. Does anyone out there know the proper size to cast them? I want them to seat easily, but not be too loose. I can't mike the barrel due to the QLC section at the muzzle.
Thanks

Personally the minnies you cast are going to be .577 in diameter. The bore of the .58 Thompson is probably around .580-.582 which means the minnies you are going make are very undersized. I tried minnie ball I casted in the .50, .54 and because they shot so poorly, bought some .58 and they shot poorly also. Minnies shoot best out of older military style rifles. I never could get hunting accuracy out of a minnie. One reason I sold the molds.

Instead of a Minnie see it they make a .58 caliber LEE mold company REAL conical. You might have better luck with that . But to each their own.

ewald said:
Slug the bore and measure the slug.
That was the first thing I thought of and I would be very happy to do that, except I can't figure how I would get the slug out of the barrel because the breech plug is not removable.

Tweesdad said:
ewald said:
Slug the bore and measure the slug.
That was the first thing I thought of and I would be very happy to do that, except I can't figure how I would get the slug out of the barrel because the breech plug is not removable.

I saw a gunsmith do this by taking a wooden dowel about the diameter of your ramrod, put some duct tape around it near the end & wrap it until it is a slip fit to the bore. Then he inserted that tape plug into the barrel about six inches and poured in some molten lead. He held the dowel centered in the bore until the lead cooled and pulled out the lead slug. Pretty smart I thought. I suppose you could come up with some other ideas for the plug material at the end of the dowel too besides duct tape. The smith I saw then went on to use the slug on the dowel to lapp a really rough barrel until it shined.

You could also use the bullet puller to remove a snug fitting lead conical and measure the grooves engraved on that.

Be blessed

I shot Lee 58 cal R.E.A.L bullets in my Cabelas Hawken and it grouped .659 inches at 50 yards. I was very pleased as I used the factory supplied open sights. I'm old,shaky and have dimming eyesight. Take this FWIW. I think you'd be happy with the R.E.A.L bullets in your gun.
Doggoner

I have a TC Big Boar 58 cal, i think you will find that TC Barrels measure .582, mine does, George.

.58 Minie' Bullets

I recently read that the Minie' performs better in the shallow rifling of the 1863 Zoauve replicas.

except I can't figure how I would get the slug out of the barrel because the breech plug is not removable.

Get a section of 1/2" steel or brass rod about eight inches long. If you use steel, wrap the two ends with electrical tape or duct tape to protect the bore. Slide the rod into the bore, then pound your lead slug in to a depth of about six inches. Then tilt the barrel back and forth like a see-saw. The rod in the barrel will knock the slug back out like a mini pile driver. Make sure the bore is clean and lightly oiled before you start.

Semisane said:
except I can't figure how I would get the slug out of the barrel because the breech plug is not removable.

Get a section of 1/2" steel or brass rod about eight inches long. If you use steel, wrap the two ends with electrical tape or duct tape to protect the bore. Slide the rod into the bore, then pound your lead slug in to a depth of about six inches. Then tilt the barrel back and forth like a see-saw. The rod in the barrel will knock the slug back out like a mini pile driver. Make sure the bore is clean and lightly oiled before you start.

Thank you sir, You be Da Man.

Back