$70 greyhawk at the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8dawg6

Reaction score
weel, took the ol' $70 greyhawk walmart special to the range yesterday. she shoots just fine w/ 70-80 g. pyrodex RS and a .490 roundball w/ ordinary t/c natural lube .015 cotton patches. i switched it to musket cap ignition, and that completely eliminated some of the slow fires i had had the last time i shot the rifle w/ pyrodex and #11 caps. didn't get too far out, but the rifle is shooting into 1" at 25 yards with that load. good plinking load, recoil is negligible. clean up w/ the stainless steel rifle is probably the easiest of any muzzleloader i have owned to date. trigger is the best of any sidelock i have fired . . . single trigger sidelocks, that is. tough to beat the t/c set trigger. :D

only problem i had with the gun is that, with the musket cap, it blew back to half-cock every now and then. even with that modest a load. never had that problem w/ the #11 nipples. i might just need a new musket nipple. it's had over 100 shots through it.

also, it is clear that the front sight is a little too low. either that or the rear sight is a little too high. anyway, the rifle hits high, and i've got the rear sight almost bottomed out. that's with the very modest load i was shooting, i'd hate to see what it'd do with a heavier bullet and/or powder charge.

on another note, i'm starting to really like pyrodex for some reason. acts a lot like blackpowder, smells a lot like blackpowder, but doesnt foul nearly as much. easy to clean up. w/ the musket cap ignition, no ignition probs, either. also, seems to recoil less than 777??? that might just be me, but i'm putting a post in the inline forum to see what everybody else thinks.

It sounds like you had a really good range session. I am glad to hear that the rifle shot well. Pyrodex is a good powder. It just fowls a little more then the other powders out there. Actually I kind of like it. Good luck with the future shooting.

Back