700 ML, the older style. Can they be converted to smokeless?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have on old blued 50 cal 700 ML. I always liked it, loved the trigger. The NO11 caps started not lighting the loads a few years ago and I parked it in my safe. Has anyone out there fitted a Brux to one of these and had success?

If you have a Remington 700 short action, it is probably the easier way to go as prefit barrels are readily available.

You need a gunsmith to fit a barrel to a Remington 700 ML. A Remington 700 ML is a fine conversion used within its limits. They are just not as easy to build as they once were.

If you have a Remington 700 short action, it is probably the easier way to go as prefit barrels are readily available.

You need a gunsmith to fit a barrel to a Remington 700 ML. A Remington 700 ML is a fine conversion used within its limits. They are just not as easy to build as they once were.
What exactly do you mean when you say Remington 700 short action? Can you give some examples?

Short action, think bullet lengths similar to the 223 or 243 . Long action, think along the 7mm mags and 338 winnies, etc.

Other than asking a bunch of questions on this forum, where could I find information about the process for doing this start to finish?
Check with badgerridgeind.com. I'm pretty sure they can do it all for you or they can supply what you need.

Badge Ridge can provide the smokeless bolt nose kit for 209 primers. You need to select a breechplug and find a gunsmith to do the machine work setting the headspace correctly.

I believe McGowen still makes bbl.s for the Remington 700 ML.. I built two with McGowen bbl.s years ago, One for me and the other for my uncle. I sold mine about 5 years ago, but my uncle still uses his and loves it. The bbl came with the threads cut for the standard Savage ML plug and the bbl. screwed right into the receiver I only had to remove .020" for it to headspace correctly. I would give them a call to see if they can help you.

McGowen Precision Barrels

mcgowenbarrel.com
4051 US Highway 93 S, Kalispell, MT 59901
(406) 755-4907

I think the Woodsman adjustable breech plug can help solve a lot of the headspace problems - getting ready to find out myself on another 700ml build

Check with badgerridgeind.com. I'm pretty sure they can do it all for you or they can supply what you need.

I have the Badger ridge 209 conversion already…
Badger Ridge breech plugs are not smokeless capable. If someone can find who makes a smokeless capable to the same configuration and dimensions (identical to the Badger Ridge breechplug) that would be great. I'd love to know.

Latest posts

Back