A 30 year dry spell comes to an end.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caplock1

Reaction score
It's muzzle loader season here but I have had terrible luck so far this year with a muzzle loader. So I decided to dust off my cheap little crossbow and give it a try. Another reason was because the spot was pretty much a bow only spot and is loaded with deer. I first started shooting arrows with a bow about 32 years ago and I have since transitioned to a crossbow when it became legal for everyone to use one here. Up until today I had never put a deer in the freezer with either  compound or cross bow. I had a doe walk in front of me at first light about 20 yards away but I didn't like the shot so I held off hoping for a better one. About a half hour later another comes by at about 15 yards with a dead broadside shot so I take it aiming dead center of her chest, missing over her back. I thought I might be adding another year to the dry spell for a moment. But 15 minutes later another doe walks up. A friend of mine has been telling me over and over the last few days to shoot for a neck shot. He kept saying if you miss, you miss. But if you hit one in the neck it will drop right there. So I decided to listen to him and aimed for the thickest part of the deer's neck and squeezed the trigger. I watched the arrow fly true and then heard the "THWACK" sound of the arrow hitting the deer at the base of the neck just above the shoulder. I was shooting an old Horton Steelforce 150 pound compound bow with 17 inch bolts tipped with TROPHY RIDGE HAMMERHEAD mechanical broad heads that have a 2 inch cutting diameter. After she got hit she did a u-turn and ran back the way she came. She made it about 20 yards and expired. Breaking a no less than 30 year dry spell of hunting with a string and stick. Here are a few pictures. Some may find them a little too graphic so I should warn you. Here is a picture of the broad head closed, The rubber band that holds it shut is missing. It goes where the notch is at about the center of the broad head.
8e0d1b5e-2bad-40de-8250-78a0e72bc6b6_zpsc16ea9d8.jpg

Here is the deer. She weighed 70 pounds dressed.
100_1580_zpsa2ec1199.jpg

Here's a better shot of the wound. There was no exit wound but the hole going in caused so much trauma she didn't go far.
100_1583_zpsf60c37f5.jpg

<table style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: medium;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tr><td>
empty.gif
Subject: Hammerhead Reviews   
empty.gif
Today at 16:31</td><td class="post-options" style="text-align: right;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">         </td></tr><tr><td class="hr" colspan="2"><hr /></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">This really is a great broad head. A solid 5 of 5 stars on Cabela's.

[url=http://www.cabelas.com/product/Trophy-Ridge-Rocket-Aeroheads-Hammerhead-Broadheads/744995.uts]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Trophy-Ridge-Rocket-Aeroheads-Hammerhead-Broadheads/744995.uts[/url]</td></tr></table>

Congrats Caplock :cheers: 

----------------------------------------
p.s.  I wish Masachusetts would allow crossbows for deer hunting.  I never thought much about using one until I hit my 50's.  As I age the challenge of hunting with a conventional bow on the ground grows steadily. A crossbow would sure come in handy in our archery only areas...especially in cold December when the muscles stiffin up.    

Congrats Caplock!  I used to be an avid bow hunter.  Loved the sport.  I let it get away from some how and now I think it might be too expensive for me to gear back up again.

Smokin' Joe said:
Congrats Caplock!  I used to be an avid bow hunter.  Loved the sport.  I let it get away from some how and now I think it might be too expensive for me to gear back up again.
The only time it gets expensive is if you want the latest and greatest.   Purist are constantly trading-up, so good used bows are usually plentiful.  200 f.p.s. compounds will be just as effective on their target as the 350+ f.p.s. speed demons.

Awesome friggin shot! Man, that sucker left a hole. I've never seen a bow shot leave such a wound.

Congrats on your harvest Caplock! A perfect shot and an awesome broad head did the trick!

However, a miss placed neck shot will leave the animal with no neck muscles, only to have the critter not be able to hold up its head, eat, or breath properly... your first choice for lungs, or a heart shot are the best for a quick humane kill.

Back