A closer look at Groove depth,450-456 lother walter barrel, Woodman arms Omega!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too ,,I have a million questions and it seems like every morning I've got up the last three or four mornings I have another question not only plastic-related but ignition related and what about bullet flight if you're shooting a jacketed bullet will a bullet flying through the air with a lot less groove cut in it be more aerodynamic downrange say it 300 yards and further will it have less friction? because that jacket is smoother,and again back to ignition shallower groove may work a lot better with a wad of some type since you don't have as much friction as deeper Groove would, initial pressure build at the moment of explosion may be a lot less,,, and let's say plastic does do okay or just as good as deep groove, it's not going to put as much stress on the on the plastic, am I going to be able to shoot a hotter load because of that? without the plastic reaching its limit it is really a very interesting part of the equation. I have a lot of other questions again I don't have answers for I'm going to try to learn all I can hands on

Hey,, I appreciate that input ,if you don't mind asking do you know where the barrel came from whose was it? that groove sounds just about right, any input you have as you watch this process over the next year be sure and speak up I value your experience.

I can understand that ,if I was a rifle builder and I know what I did was a success ,which he definitely is, I would want to guard how I did things too ,however my own motive is not my own business it's just my own passion and interest in this topic and hopefully to make things better or at least offer people something better.

Another four shot group that is amazing to me the first shot on the left was a cool Barrel not a clean one and then there's three Fury 275 grain star tips in a clean hole if you look at the Target you see how those three bullets just cleaned the edge of the paper started to go in the house and throw another load and shoot a fist but I'm just going to stare at this this is the 450-456 Lothar ,,, pretty good for those old desert island bullets isn't it.

Shots and plastic this morning in the 456 lothar real windy here in Southwest Arkansas today 200 SST three quarters of an inch I won't post it it's nothing real impressive but it's not bad considering the conditions and the bullet one thing I did notice it's throwing sabo's about eight more feet further down range than a 458 Barrel normally would all the sabos were open really uniform and all in a little 2 ft area which I like it when a gun throws a plastic in the same place on the ground I guess if you think about it it makes sense that shallower Groove wouldn't shut the plastic off as quick whether that's going to affect accuracy with plastic or not remains to be seen through shooting got the 453 ready to will be shooting at the next couple of days if the conditions settle I will try Fury 225 next in the 456 Groove. I am shooting 57 grains of IMR 4198 the plastic look good with the 200 SST load I might try bumping that just slightly and shoot that SST again

Got the 450-453 on paper with plastic, the light blue of course, just below 3/4 of an inch at 100 yd three shot group I had mentioned I think that the 456 barrel was throwing the plastic out further this 453 12 Groove is throwing the sabots right in front of me the way of 458 would that's interesting and all about a foot from each other.,, both barrels are pretty good with a plastic load and a 200 grain SST 57 grains of 4198 since I have the muzzle brakes off I'll probably stick some Fury 225s in them and then go back to sizing bullets

Nothing but good news this morning because I am 18 twist crazy going to shoot some more plastic today I'm waiting on some 452's to size I am going to shoot the 400 grain Fury and the 400 grain Northern Precision this weekend over a stiff load of Blackhorn if I was anyone looking at a the new barrel for an old Omega and I hunted in a western state I would think that 18 twist shallow Groove would be ideal for the lead conicals and sized jacketed bullets!!

Nothing but good news this morning because I am 18 twist crazy going to shoot some more plastic today I'm waiting on some 452's to size I am going to shoot the 400 grain Fury and the 400 grain Northern Precision this weekend over a stiff load of Blackhorn if I was anyone looking at a the new barrel for an old Omega and I hunted in a western state I would think that 18 twist shallow Groove would be ideal for the lead conicals and sized jacketed bullets!!
I didn't think that you finding out the barrel was an 1:18 twist would hurt your feelings one bit.
I bet you're right on the conicals. I bet a 420g NE conical would be awesome behind a BH209 charge in that barrel. Only one way to find out though. I'd also wager that both of those 400g jacketed bullets will shoot very well in it too. Lots of fun testing huh bro.

Might as well try the 275 ot and the 275 blk tip40 Cals from Fury in a light blue what's interesting is his 275 OT if you put them in the light blue and set them right beside the 225 Fury the two are practically the same length

Back