A Friend's Crisis Averted

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
I received a Facebook notice from a friend's page about 2 weeks ago that was very disturbing. My only communication with this old friend has been two or three Facebook exchanges over the last several years. I haven't seen or spoken with him for 50 years!

He wrote: "Just wanted to say goodbye to all of you. My life is ending in a few days. I love you all. If you want to talk to me my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx May God bless you all."

That is about as clear a cry for help as I ever have seen! I responded on Facebook. Then, I called. We spoke for nearly an hour and he explained about a failed relationship, falling into alcoholism and losing his job. He had until this past Tuesday before he would be forced to move out of the motel he was staying in. He was just going to sit in the bathtub and cut himself and end it all.

Then, we reminisced about the great times we had as boys up to about the age of 18. We laughed. He cried some. I thanked him for saving my life when he hid in his garage the motorcycle I had bought against my father's wishes (until my father eventually found out).

I told him that he was looking at a permanent solution for a temporary problem. Of course I urged him to seek out help and gave him my contact information. Fortunately, others who have had contact with him more recently also responded. I really felt quite helpless, being so far away and lacking the knowledge of how to deal with such a situation.

He didn't call or email me, but he did say on Facebook that he had found some assistance so he would not end up on the street and would not terminate his life. What a relief!  I called and left a message.

I'll call him again tomorrow and try to re-establish our connection.

Ron

Sometimes a suicide threat or attempt is a cry for help. Glad you did your best to help. Good luck to your friend.

Great job Ron!!! Trying to help some one having a mental crisis can be very difficult and extremely stressful for you too. Most of the time giving the person a vent and ability to talk about there problems is all it takes to make a difference. I deal with this regularly working in emergency medicine for 20+ years in EMS. You definitely hit the nail on the head when you told him his situation is only temporary.

Thank you for your comments, Gentlemen.
What I did and do know is that he is a good-hearted and thoughtful person. Always has been.
I also confessed that I had a BIG crush on his sister at about 16. :) 
Ron

Ron, good for you.  You may not have the training to deal with situations like this but you reached out and showed him that people do care.  Very noble thing you did!

Good job.  Sometimes a call is all it takes to make a difference in someone's life.

Gentlemen,
It would be dishonest for me to take too much credit. Fortunately, several people responded with concrete information about resources for people in such crises. They gave phone numbers and emails of local organizations and support groups.
The good news is that the fellow in crisis is now regularly communicating on Facebook. He posted a photo of our junior high school class picture. Right above my friend is the photo of a girl we both had a crush on.
Interestingly, he told me that his old nickname he has reserved for his addicted self. He uses his given name in recovery. So, I have been instructed to refer to him with his given name.
Thanks,
Ron

Latest posts

Back