a good lead bullet for the modern 50 cal 1/28 twist inlines.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
a good lead bullet for the modern 50 cal 1/28 twist inlines.

please forgive me if i have posted this before, my have but i cant remember. several years ago i had a mold made to these specs. and it shoot great with great accuracy and easy loading.  this is how it looks. it looks like a round ball with a conical attached to it. the round ball is .492 diam. and the conical is about .449 diam. i cast them of pure lead and then i roll the conical part between two large clean flat files. i coat with lee alox. to load i use a thin commercial 50 cal patch and tap the round ball into the muzzle patched with a small rubber hammer. i tap the bullet to be even with the muzzle. i made a starter about a ft. long with a 1/2 inch wooden dowel that was sanded down to fit into the bore. i now tap the bullet with the starter until it is in a little then push it down to length of starter. i then use a range rod i made from a thinned 1/2 inch wooden dowel to push the bullet onto the powder. this bullet is no harder to place on powder than a round ball. it weighs 535 grains and never has fliers and is very accurate. i use blackhorn 209 powder 80 grains behind the bullet. the patch comes off at the muzzle and is never cut or blown through. you can make these bullets from round balls and 400 grain cast bullets that just fit in the bore. make a jig for your drill press and center drill the bullet and round ball. screw them together with sheet metal screws or a small daim bolt. ive done that before i had a mold made and they shot as good as the cast ones. sorry if ive posted this before but it is a good post and you can find no better bullet for you inline 50 cal 1/28 twist.

Re: a good lead bullet for the modern 50 cal 1/28 twist inlines.

Sounds like a massive Hornady PA conical.

again, one can make these with a 400 grain bore rider size conical, a round ball and a home made jig and a drill press. these type of bullets are perfect for a 1/28 twist 50 cal inline. with 80 grains of powder they are like a 50/90 sharps rife in power.

FrontierGander said:
Sounds like a massive Hornady PA conical.
Same thought Jon, "ditto" guys ...

Latest posts

Back