A new rifle for our troops

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Well I talked with one of my buds in the know yesterday and here is what I found out. We all know the .223 has been a bust since its enception and the m16 series has been surrounded by controversy since Vietnam. The search has been on for something better for awhile and here is the current state of things.
The new HK XM8 or whatever they called it is a bust, seems the plastic keeps melting in the desert.
The Barret 6.8 is making Barrett rich but the only one who is buying it is Army special forces groups and it is not likely to be accepted as a new service rifle.
FN has a new space gun looking rifle in a convertible gun in .223 and .308 that looks promising, tests are on going.
FN has a PDW ( personal defense weapon) select fire subgun in the puny 5.? mm that is heck on penetration of body armor but lacks otherwise on good terminal ballistics. Look for a semi auto civilain version to be introduced as the gun has been submitted to ATF for approval.
Armalite is having a tough time with reliability issues and barrel quality and accuracy. Seems they just can't get their act together and it seems unlikely we will see anything good coming from them.
Remington Arms is the big news. Seems they have an AR10 clone with all the bugs worked out. Big Green spent alot of time and money on Research and Development and think they have a winner. New prototypes have been submitted to the Army for testing and evaluation. Early reports indicate they are doing well holding up to the grueling process. We will see. Thats all I know for now looking forward to hearing anything else you guys can come up with, Rifleman

Interesting report Dwight. Sounds like the Big Green may have a winner there.

Back