A perfect day for shooting roundball...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I had a beautiful day here today. In the 30's and sunny. Hardly any wind at all. Just my kind of day. After I shovelled the snow out, I wanted to shoot a longer distance, so I took a board and taped a CD to it. At least I found some good for those junk AOL free trial CD's. I tucked a red card behind it and the center of that CD stuck out real nice taped to a pine board. I then got my range finder out and sighted through the woods to 50 yards and jammed that board in the snow. It made a real nice target.

AOLdisc4a.jpg

I was shooting my Tradition's Woodsman Hawkins with a 1-66 twist. I was shooting patched roundball with 90 grains of Goex 2f. I also had an opportunity to shoot at a pine squirrel who was unlucky enough to come into the line of fire at about 37 yards. He ended up being at 37 & 39 yards after the roundball hit him dead center.

I also set up some soda cans out in the woods and tried 245 grain ball-ets out of the 1-66 twist Hawkins. They shoot identical to the roundball. And with 80 grains of powder they seemed to thump good. You can not push the larger conicals too hard as I remembered. The soda cans never stood a chance.

I finally found a good use for that fancy front covered porch of mine. Rest off the rail and shoot from an elevated height into the woods.. Just make sure you wear hearing protection when under a roof. It gets a little loud in there.

must be nice to have the game animals actually come to your shooting range. :D i've usually had to go out and find the animals . . . they don't come to me. :D that's a very efficient way of squirrel hunting you have there.

also . . . that must have been one of those america online cd's they constantly send out. im glad you found a good use for it. :D

oh wait, it IS an america online cd! i made that joke before i even read the caption. :D :D :D

These little pine squirrels around here are a real pain in the you know where. They come into homes, garages, shops, and tear up everything they can get into. Every chance I can get, I thin the herd. The trouble is you shoot one and three more show up for the funeral....

I can not believe there are that many of these squirrels in the woods around the house. I have shot over a dozen of them this winter. I looked out today and there are two more of them already back into the small woods by the shop. A friend came over a few years back and with a .22 caliber rifle of mine we shot seven of them in an afternoon of sitting out on the porch, relaxing.

Back