A Roudy Roundup of Ruger Revolvers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've taken more deer with the .357 than any other revolver caliber. But I really do like the .41 mag.

Those groups were all fired at 25 yards. At 50 I'm getting under two inches and at 100 yds it is about 4-5" if I do my part.
Here is another I shot the same day, with only one cup of coffee, morning, and no shooting going on around me at my range, on Caldwell front bag and small grip bag. I loaded this ammo for my Contender 14" and it shoots better in the Ruger.
Muzzleloader48, I have the Galco "Kodiak Hunter Chest Holster", open top for scope. I have two, one for my Contenders/Encores and one for the revolvers.
Good luck on your hunts.
Mike
Thanks for the pics! Cool holster:thumbs up:

Those groups were all fired at 25 yards. At 50 I'm getting under two inches and at 100 yds it is about 4-5" if I do my part.
Here is another I shot the same day, with only one cup of coffee, morning, and no shooting going on around me at my range, on Caldwell front bag and small grip bag. I loaded this ammo for my Contender 14" and it shoots better in the Ruger.
Muzzleloader48, I have the Galco "Kodiak Hunter Chest Holster", open top for scope. I have two, one for my Contenders/Encores and one for the revolvers.
Good luck on your hunts.
Mike
Thanks Mike. My chest holster is closed top, but fits my scope also. Good shooting.

Finally, here's a pic of the Ruger M77 ..250/3000 of astonishing accuracy. Ten shot group with five 87 grain and five 100 grain bullets went under 1". The only thing about the early 77s I'm not fond of is that the stocks have way too much wood left on them. I also had an M77 from the mid 1970s in .338 Win mag. It was also extremely accurate and kicked painfully off the bench with my handloads - 200 grain psp at 3200 fps. The 250s were worse and didn't get fired much. I've owned and used a couple of .375 H&H mags and the .338 kicked much worse. I worked up a good handload with the 200 grain bullet at 2800 fps that was easy shooting and light kicking, and killed deer with it. I sold the .338 about 35 years later for muzzleloader money. But I had a limited edition Remington 700 .350 Rem mag (1984 IIRC) that I also loaded light, 200 grain bullet at 2700 fps. I killed a lot of deer with the 200 and the 250 grain loads. In Georgia the limit was 12 deer and I took full advantage. So many rifles and loads! Also got a .257R special edition a year or two later when they were released. Loved that rifle and took many deer with it and had some fast handloads. For some reason I couldn't get the level of accuracy out of it that the .250 & .350 had. Learned later that that wasn't unusual with the .257R. But it was more than accurate enough for long shots. Had to sell it to help finance our move. But it was the Savage M99A .250 sav that stole my heart. Between the M99 and the Ruger, the little .250 sav cartridge took an amazing number of deer for me.
DSC00429.jpg

The super accurate .350; another 1/2" grouper.
DSC00428.jpg

M99A, a love affair.
DSC00433.jpg

Well Hell, I guess I'll jump into the fray!...Towel pic: Top to bottom, L-R. 357 maximum,357,41 mag,30 carb,bearcat,44 NM Mag,45 colt. All twin-pins. Case pic T-B: 44 Super Blk Hwk, ,22 conv.,30 carbine, 357, OM Bearcat.. All 3 screws. Not shown is wife's CC SP101 short bbl .357. The custom 45 colt my favorite followed closely by the 41 mag..Mossie

Attachments

• P6220044.JPG
    P6220044.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 3
  • P6220045.JPG
    P6220045.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 3
Mossie, that's WAY too many Rugers for one man to own. I'll give a good home to any of them you let me adopt. Just send any of them.

I've been a Ruger fan longer than I can remember. A feller's just gotta love 'em.

Back