Accura v2 butt stock broke at sling connection, what to do

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sojourner

Reaction score
I have an Accura V2 that is is three years old. Cold day at the range. The sling caught the seat as I was moving the rifle. The stock broke at the attachment point to the sling.

I cannot believe how easily this happened! I enjoy the accuracy and trigger of the V2, but that fragile connection point! And only using the quake slings.

So, what can I do? Are there aftermarket stocks that take away the fragile sling connection? Will CVA replace for free or will I have to buy a stock on my own dime? Any recommendations on a permanent fix for this?

Thanks!

Grouse said:
I would talk to CVA before you do anything myself.

X2...I read a post last week where the same thing happen to a front sling holder and CVA replaced the forearm stock.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be calling them this week. I'll hunt sans sling for the time being.

If calling them doesn't work, email them. I have never called them and have good success with the emails.

This is the one I used
http://www.cva.com/returns.php

I would be very surprised if they didn't replace the stock for you. CVA replaced my Apex buttstock and forend because of peeling camo, they sent both items to my house free of charge.

I've never liked the sling attachment points on my son's Accura. Someday I want to carefully remove them and install metal sling studs with a nut on the back side for the forearm and a screw in for the buttstock, a future summer project. Just some examples, not sure if these would work or not.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/453004 ... pack-of-12
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/887160 ... 15-rgs-set

5 minutes on the phone and a replacement butt stock is on it's way. The guy didn't even want my rifles serial number or a pic of the damage.

Thanks all!

Maybe if I do not have to return the broken butt stock, I can try to put a sling stud in it.

Pic below.

7a2db891119147bd101ae3d63a06e7f5.jpg

I see CVA took care of you. I'm not surprised.

I broke the plastic tri-glide on my Accura MR sling and CVA sent me a brand new sling! I only wanted the little piece of hardware replaced. I offered to send the original sling with broken tri-glide back to CVA, but they declined. So now I'll replace the tri-glide and have a spare sling.

Assuming CVA doesn't want the old stock (almost a certainty they won't), it would be interesting to figure out a way to install a sling stud. If you do a DIY repair, let us know how it turned out.

Tannhauser said:
I see CVA took care of you. I'm not surprised.

I broke the plastic tri-glide on my Accura MR sling and CVA sent me a brand new sling! I only wanted the little piece of hardware replaced. I offered to send the original sling with broken tri-glide back to CVA, but they declined. So now I'll replace the tri-glide and have a spare sling.

Assuming CVA doesn't want the old stock (almost a certainty they won't), it would be interesting to figure out a way to install a sling stud. If you do a DIY repair, let us know how it turned out.

If I do a DIY repair, I will certainly share with the group. Worst case it will be a bD example and what NOT to do.

CVA HAS to recognize that the stupid plastic loop which serves as a shoulder strap mounting option is a REALLY bad idea.

lptroll said:
CVA HAS to recognize that the stupid plastic loop which serves as a shoulder strap mounting option is a REALLY bad idea.

The plastic sling "loop" is what I'd expect to see on the Wolf, maybe the Optima, but I'm surprised they are used on the regular Accura. Interesting to note the Accura MR rifle has standard, metal sling studs in the stock and foregrip.

Tannhauser said:
lptroll said:

The plastic sling "loop" is what I'd expect to see on the Wolf, maybe the Optima, but I'm surprised they are used on the regular Accura. Interesting to note the Accura MR rifle has standard, metal sling studs in the stock and foregrip.

I saw that and was considering asking if the Accura MR rifle butt stock would work with my Accura V2 barrel. It appeared to me that the guy at CVA wanted to close out the call as fast as possible.

Worst case, if it breaks again and I cannot do the swivel studs, I will go old school with a flintlock sling that cups the majority of the butt stock. I have one on my Lyman trade flinter.

Never owning a CVA, I'm surprised to see the butt stock swivel made the same way as my T/C Pro Hunter - looks to be molded into the stock the exact same way. Mine tore out as well and I filed the broken part off, filed a flat in the bottom of the old swivel hole radius and then drilled a hole and screwed in a std steel sling swivel that would be installed into a wood stock - still functioning fine and hasn't pulled out.

Replacement installed. Some pics for anyone contemplating drilling a hole for a sling stud. There are channels for the screws that connect the recoil pad to the stock. Also, the recoil pad with the butt stock to show how far the screws go in.

IMO, if I get another break, I'll just get a more primitive sling.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/popup_image.php?pID=9308

Thanks for the help on my questions.

a03de65a73be577af740682739013221.jpg
bc0f0a46bf90f710089fc7d1b767c543.jpg

I remember reading something a couple of years ago where someone did replace the sling mounts in a CVA. If I remember correctly, they used a threaded insert which the epoxied into a hole drilled in the stock and forestock and installed sling studs into the inserts.

sojourner said:
5 minutes on the phone and a replacement butt stock is on it's way. The guy didn't even want my rifles serial number or a pic of the damage.

Thanks all!

Maybe if I do not have to return the broken butt stock, I can try to put a sling stud in it.

Pic below.

7a2db891119147bd101ae3d63a06e7f5.jpg

Glad to hear that CVA took care of you. Makes me feel a bit better with a CVA as my hunting tool.

After re-sighting it in. First two shots I rushed just a tad. Last one I took my time and bullseye.

I am sure I can do better with that combo, but it's good for hunting this year.

52e28f7c6f9b3ae1c3980f17e5ff7055.jpg

Back