Adding silver?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave James

Reaction score
Any of my brother primitve shooters mix silver into their round balls or conicals?

Have read a couple of old articles on it, seems it was favorite trick in Africa, thinking about trying it for my 8 bore

Never did that. Made and shot some swan shot out of a buddies trade gun. Smooth bore, can't remember the caliber for sure 62, 79?

this is to produce a harder ball I take it. Nope never done it.

Yep, thats what it leads to ,, seems this was one way to improve penetration on ele's hippos and such,, didn't give any ratios, but may try it any way

Something as simple as casting ball with wheel weights will do the same thing. The addition of tin will harden the ball. I used to have a chart that gave all the BIN for the different lead out there and what it is mixed with. Now of course when I wanted to find that.. well you know how it goes.

Personally unless hunting something really tuff skinned, then I would not worry too much and just use a pure lead ball.

Would a harder mix make conicals leave a little less leading in the barrel ?

tooldog

I was under the impression that the harder the bullet the more fowling it leaves, but I could be wrong...

Whelp tried a simple test,, cast up about 20 or so using the 980 grain mold,, work up 10 lbs of lead used about 3lbs of silver, balls came out at 950 , had to change patch thickness from my standard .10 to .15 using unwashed cotten sheets,, charge, 225 grains of FFG Swiss, over powder wad stayed the same, ungreased felt .

Rifle shot 1 1/2" high at 75 yards,, it was sighted in for the 300 grain load and the 1100 grain ball, to be dead on.

Only solid object we shot was a gum stump thats been seting since summer, no its not a real measure , but the ball went 18" and stopped.

May have to try it out on pigs this summer, was fun any way

I always thought using silver in bullets was supposed to kill vampires :lol:

IM jaybe :)

Well as the news caster had a spot on them here in Tidewater,, I may be ready :lol: :lol:

Now will an 8 bore do the job? :lol: :lol:

Back