Another Round Ball Thread

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I cast quite a bit for my 20 bore Zephyr and my 45-70 and 38-55’s but my alloy mix has been 1-30 and 1-20 . I need to make a 32 cal run but I’ve always shot dead soft Hornady and Track of the Wolf balls. What can I expect with harder alloys in my 32 cal rifle. Don’t have much really soft mix right now so just wondering. While on the subject how about 32 cal ball molds any available ?

Rick

I use a lead roof flashing for my balls. Rang around until a found a brand that was pretty well pure lead. I get it from local hardware stores. You could always try that if you want something similar to your hornady balls.

A lot of people shoot 1 1/2 super buckshot from Ballistic Products in .32 rifles. They are harder than pure lead but I have no idea what the alloy is. Lots cheaper than buying Hornady balls 100 at a time.

I cast quite a bit for my 20 bore Zephyr and my 45-70 and 38-55’s but my alloy mix has been 1-30 and 1-20 . I need to make a 32 cal run but I’ve always shot dead soft Hornady and Track of the Wolf balls. What can I expect with harder alloys in my 32 cal rifle. Don’t have much really soft mix right now so just wondering. While on the subject how about 32 cal ball molds any available ?

Rick
Lyman made/?makes? a four gang mold. casts a .319 ball. have a bunch cast and sold my .32!

First, what size is the bore?

What size balls shoot the best?

I use dead soft lead in the rifles although alloyed lead will work okay in most cases. For instance: I use a .350" ball in the .36; but I use a canvas patch of about .024" compressed. Very snug load but accurate and the wood ramrod is what I load with.

I have had really good luck using the 1 1/2 Buck from Ballistic Products. Current price is $43 for 8 lbs = about 1250 balls. The also have no sprue.

Well I was taught that it is the patch that actually engages with the rifling not the ball. So the hardness would not affect anything except how the ball expands in the animal you shoot with it. A hard ball would maybe penetrate deeper before expanding if any. Accuracy would not be affected or ballistics even.

Well I was taught that it is the patch that actually engages with the rifling not the ball. So the hardness would not affect anything except how the ball expands in the animal you shoot with it. A hard ball would maybe penetrate deeper before expanding if any. Accuracy would not be affected or ballistics even.
A alloyed ball weights (LESS) than pure so loses velocity faster along with penetration . So keep that in mind when reaching out @ longer yardage /Ed

At squirrel range, I have seen no difference, maybe a little over-penetration?:elmer:Kidding of course. At twenty-five yards benched there is no perceived difference in group size

At the ranges I shoot a muzzleloader the shorter ranges make no difference with the alloy balls. I don’t try to shoot anything beyond 50 yards. Mostly under 25 yards.

Latest posts

Back