Advise please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweesdad

Reaction score
Just finished a 9 day search for a couple of pounds of black powder. Getting harder to find all the time.
What I was able to pick up is a few cans of Scheutzen fffg., which was all that was available.
I am going to use this in my .58 Renegade with a Green Mountain 1/70 round ball barrel.
Not being sure of the difference in pressures between ffg & fffg, would a load of 100.0 gr. fffg be safe to fire in this barrel, using a patched round ball?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Twees

I shoot Schuetzen powder all the time. The FFFg is a little more powerful then the FFg but if you were shooting 100 grains of the 2f... try the same load but with 3f. I think you should be OK. They estimate that FFFg is 15% more powerful then FFg. But I tend to think that figure is a little high in estimation. If your worried for your rifle, knock the charge down to 90 grains and see what happens.

cayuga said:
I shoot Schuetzen powder all the time. The FFFg is a little more powerful then the FFg but if you were shooting 100 grains of the 2f... try the same load but with 3f. I think you should be OK. They estimate that FFFg is 15% more powerful then FFg. But I tend to think that figure is a little high in estimation. If your worried for your rifle, knock the charge down to 90 grains and see what happens.
Was thinking the same thing myself. It appears that great minds think alike. Thanks once again Dave. I knew I could count on you.

Latest posts

Back