And this is what happens

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
And this is what happens when you go out shooting with some of the nicest people in Michigan and they bring there toys to the party.

Eventually you shoot something you like and say oh man I “need” one of those! My enabler Mr. Michiganmuzzy said it’s ok though. I wish I could have bought them all including the hand cannon brought in. so I will start with this one.

Enter half-cocked’s new .17 hmr. True to style I purchased a cheap one. Eventually the plan is to thin the heard and purchase a few quality rifles. For now it’s been quantity over quantity.

Put in layaway and paid off on the same day. Lol I figured why not. I have a skyy coming to my FFL and they give discounts on multiple firearms.

IMG_0854.pngIMG_0855.jpeg

You have seen the price on HMR ammo?

Otherwise welcome to the Howa Hood. You should really get a mini in 223, 6.5 grendel or 762x39
About .30 ppr at my local gun store. About the same as .22 wmr. That’s not bad. The price of everything has gone up. Including mil ammo aka 5.56 and 7.62. If I’m going to pay I might as well enjoy what caliber I shoot; don’t we all?IMG_0858.png

Oh I agree - just didnt know if you were aware

Last time I seriously considered one both 17 and 22 magnums were 10/50

Almost grabbed what I thought was a deal on a rifle a few months ago but something made me stop and check ammo availability and cost

I reload 223 for 32c/rnd so that short cut the process quickly

Reloading is not as cost effective as it once was unfortunately. Sometimes it’s worth the effort other times not so much.

I have the dies for all caliber rifle and pistols I own with the exception of 224 valkyrie. I had that one but my dad likes to sell things that belong to me for any amount he can get. Tools, a sawzall etc. But back to reloading.

What I do is try to buy factory ammo when possible. During a shortage or price gouging event the reloading components come out.

I don’t reload 9mm anymore I do 380 and most definitely reload carcano. Last box of 20 carcano was 30 dollars for 20 rounds.

Typical rife round reload… Figure the primer is at least .10 the projectile at least .30 the powder varies large calibers use more say .20 plus the amortized cost of a given case .10. That brings us to .70 cents. Plus time and effort.

An example is the mosin rounds. I could buy brass and reload and may have to someday. For now though I found mil surplus at .75 a round so that’s the route I took.

556 is a little cheaper on the projectile .20 a piece but if you like a stockpile it’s easier to go factory at .45 a round.

The gras was a 80 investment in the dies alone. It’s a dead cartridge. Cases are fire formed from 348 Winchester. Also expensive brass. However, it is worth it because loaded gras ammo is a whopping 110 dollars for 20 rounds.IMG_0861.png

Last edited:
Half-cocked, if its any consolation @Hausser1 has convinced(enabled) me to buy a 6.5 Grendel. I will def let you shoot that when i get one.
Btw, can i post the vid of you shootin the 460 hand cannon?
Of course, brother you have my consent. Hopefully it’s super flattering. Lol

The Grendel is one of the AR uppers I have yet to shoot, I have reloading dies, and one box of factory ammo.

Later, on down the line, we can sort some components and reload for the cartridge.

Of course, brother you have my consent. Hopefully it’s super flattering. Lol

The Grendel is one of the AR uppers I have yet to shoot, I have reloading dies, and one box of factory ammo.

Later, on down the line, we can sort some components and reload for the cartridge.
Im probably going to get it in a bolt gun.

I tell you I was originally bolt gun guy and I think I’m going back to it.

It was just easier to get every A.R. 15 upper the bear creek arsenal had to offer. I have multiple 556 uppers 350 legend 450 bushmaster 65 Grendel 50, Beowulf 22, LR 224 Valkyrie and probably another one that I’m forgetting. Oh yes, I just remembered 300 blackout in two barrel lengths.

That allowed for multiple chamberings, but my true love is bolt guns.

For sure, if milsurp or commie steel case is available cheap and you stacked it deep, shoot that. But go read the Vimes Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness... Sam Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness

I get the .224" Hornady FMJs by the 250 bag at midsouth, so 11c/ea for bullets. Or the RMR 69gr that compares to the SMK for 83/500 delivered (17c). Primers are 9c ea locally, powder is 40/lb and I get 280 223 loads per pound. So for 250 rounds just about $100, or about what PMC Bronze costs if you buy by the case. But the ammo I make shoots sub-moa and the PMC shoots about 2moa. And instead of coming up with $450 to drop on a case of ammo at one time, I spent $150 to get everything going and then I spend $50-100 per month as one component or another runs low or goes on sale.

Other rounds like .300 blackout get silly on the payback comparison, even with 30c/ea bullets - I've never seen a factory round for less than $20/box.

Bumping up to common hunting rounds will nearly double the powder costs - even a 243 uses twice as much powder as a 223 load, but you will still get 140-175 rounds per pound depending on cartridge. And bullet costs will run 30-50c ea on average unless you go high end specialty and then it could go up to $1/ea, but that will still be a fraction of the cost of the equivalent factory ammo. Cheapest factory hunting ammo I saw at walmart yesterday was some 243 basic JSP loads, $25/box. Most others were over $30/box, and 45-70 was a staggering $50/20rnds. All of which can be loaded for under $1/round....

Pistol ammo? The only pistol calibers I shoot are 9mm and 44 mag, and the 44 mag is again worth reloading - factory prices push $1/round when you can find it at walmart much less a real gun shop. The 9mm though.... today... no. You can get good factory ammo for $13/bx and that will barely cover primer and bullet cost. Of course, you do get 2000 rounds per pound of powder.... so if prices go much above 25c/ round reloading starts making a bit of sense.... but a buddy of mine shoots 9mm machine guns on a regular basis, so he has one of those fancy Dillon machines with automatic everything AND he bought components by the truckload to last a lifetime back in the Good Old Days. When I need 9mm I just ask and a few hundred rounds goes home with me after our next range trip... he figures it costs him about $6/box

Man it’s hard to disagree with Howa when you see repeated reviews at 5 stars.

There’s definitely some gun shuffling in order. I need to move some my inventory before I can replace them with new stuff. I’m starting to look at those Howa rifles too.

Been toying with the idea of a creedmoor don’t know if they make one or not. I almost bought an ar 10 but I hesitated because if I want the accuracy I know it will be in the bolt action. Using some of the gases to cycle the action leads to some inconsistency that ultimately affect accuracy in my mind.

I’d like to get rid of one of my sig pistols to a good home and maybe trade for a 1911 in 9mm. It was hard not here t the buy it now button lol.

Now this is much better than an ar 10

IMG_0862.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back