Arken scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I buy my own scopes and these are my thoughts and soley mine.
I am a licensed FFL HOLDER so I do enjoy the benefits of shooting alot if different scopes
On my guns and guns I set up for others
Across a wide variety of recoil levels.

I personally have multiple Nf nxs nf competition leupold mark 4/5 vari-x 1 /3 Swarovski many burris and vortex optics.
Have shot high end shmit/ benders us optics
Etc I've looked thru alot of high end glass.
So I have a unique perspective of what I'm looking for
Optics have changed dramatically in the last few years the industry and more importantly the shooters have demanded more features and better glass at a price they can afford.
Companies have responded.
One in particular is Arken optics.
I was first exposed in a simple picture from a long time friend in a test of his current Prs rig.
I was particularly intrigued by thr scope an Ep5 5-25x56 mm with 34mm tube.
He told me he had been running them for 5 years and I know him well and knew he was a shooter and put his gear to the test.
Prs by nature is designed to test tge shooter and gear on the clock so I knew what that ment. Shoot and scoot is tough on a scope by nature.
I thought man if it holds up to that abuse it might hold up to our heavy hitting recoil.
So I got an ep5 5-25 and mounted it up on my savage 45 smokeless.
20231026_165718.jpg
It shot well held zero and tracked very good.
The glass quality while not a NF is not far from it.98 percent a tiny bit of fuz around the edges at full power.
At midrange I see no difference at all one to the other it would take years of scope use to tell the difference even at high magnification.
The reticle is a Christmas tree a bit busy for hunting but great at distance target work
Screenshot_20240317-011711_Chrome.jpg

At 1/4 the price of a Nf it deserves a look for sure..
I liked the scope so much I ordered 3 of the EPL-4 4-16x44 to put on my hunters and my wife's rifle.
I really like the reticle in this scope simple effective moa with 40 moa elevation in the glass good enough for well over 800 yards in my 308 or 6.5
All the epls use the same reticle Screenshot_20240317-011757_Chrome.jpg
The 308 shoots 150gn bullets at 3000 ft sec and with this set up I've made 500 yard cold bore shots on steel with excellent results.
A doe taken at 70 yards with a neck shot 20231221_084635.jpg
20231206_163342.jpg
Savage axis 308 it's a .5 moa hunting rig.
At 8 pnds

I had such good luck with the scopes I thought a real muzzleloader test was in order.
So I ordered a midrange scope and there new lh scope both in 6-24×50mm 30mm tube.
One went on a cva 45/ 70 conversion to smokeless
I sighted it in with a couple shots and I got to tell you I'm really impressed for a 199 dollar scope. It tracked well and held zero perfect.
I put just a touch over 20 rounds and counting on this rig.with zero issues.
It's there low end scope with Chinese glass but I got to tell you guys I couldn't be happier with the purchase beyond my expectations
20240225_131157.jpg
Thr scope features capped turrets which is nice for a hunting rifle but still has the excellent reticle of the EPL 4
A great hybrid for the situation to get you out to 300 yards and beyond.

Next up a real torture test.
I mounted a EPL -4 6TO24X50
on my remington 700 heavy barreled test gun.
If you look at "rem 700 16 twist" you can see the evolution of this set up
The set up has been on and off repeatedly in different stock configurations with well over 100 rounds of smokeless rounds down range. A lifetime of use for some of our members.
The current set up. 20240314_145609.jpg

In all this I had reservations on the viability of long term use..
I even though I'd blown it up as I worked thru this gun I'd shaken loose actions crews
Changed torque bedded the stock in the quest for accuracy. Changed stocks Changed to a bipod changed loads approaching 3400 ft pnds of energy this ain't no soft shooter.
In the end the scope has performed as good as any high end glass I could have easily put on it.
Today I shot my into my top ten best lifetime groups that I can rember at .275 MOA
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-03-16 16_16_13.428570.jpg
That's saying alot after 40 years of shooting some at the professional international level.
With a 400 dollar scope.
I'm supper impressed with the arken line up
I haven't had any complaints yet except one
I had one scope with a miss match thread pitch in the sunshade. A call to arken and a box of sunshades is on the way.
There rings are top notch although a little pricey for there budget line.
Over all I'm going to continue shooting them and smile when I shoot well with them knowing I got far more than what I paid for.

Last edited:
For the barrel nut rifles and those shooting lighter loads they appear to work.

However, how well do you think they'd hold up to 6,808 fpe?

1710673181841.jpeg

For the barrel nut rifles and those shooting lighter loads they appear to work.

However, how well do you think they'd hold up to 6,808 fpe?

View attachment 42551
I've shot mine to 65 grains of reloader 7 for 2600 with a 325 grain bullet. With my muzzle brake it's pretty tame.
I've been shooting a steady diet of 4000 pnds without issue.
I should get into heavier hitters coming real soon
They also do fine on my 338 lapua
One of my other buddies loves his on a mcmillan 50 bmg.
I guess it would really depend on the weight of the gun a 8 pound gun shooting that would destroy any scope the shooter the barrel etc.
I'm assuming it be like hankins cyclops at 35 or 40 pounds. He's running the nightfire competition scope
I havexa couple of those and they are lighter weight than the ep4
a 50 bmg bolt gun 700 grain bullet at 2650 is approaching 14000 pnd
I don't shoot those either lol
There built pretty darn robust the big one weighs near 3 pounds.
It's probably like anything else hit it with a big enough hammer and something gotta give.
I'll let you try that 6800 ft/pnd load ima sell tickets.....
One thing I do know from personal experience
Is that on my hunting trip this past season I had my 308 rifle sitting by the door about to case it up when my wife came thru the door
She nocked it onto the tile floor on top of the top turret. I didn't have time to check it so I grabbed a 6.5 and we headed out.
When we got there we checked zero and it was dead on.
Shot the doe in the neck the next morning at 70 yards
There pretty tough. I don't advocate abusing my equiptment but that was a hard hit. It took in stride.

Last edited:
I'll let you try that 6800 ft/pnd load ima sell tickets.....

One thing I do know from personal experience
Is that on my hunting trip this past season I had my 308 rifle sitting by the door about to case it up when my wife came thru the door
She nocked it onto the tile floor on top of the top turret. I didn't have time to check it so I grabbed a 6.5 and we headed out.
When we got there we checked zero and it was dead on.
Shot the doe in the neck the next morning at 70 yards
There pretty tough. I don't advocate abusing my equiptment but that was a hard hit. It took in stride.
I've already shot 50 or more rounds at that muzzle energy and velocity with the 350gr XLD's.
My LR Customs brake works perfectly.

I got tired of busting scopes one right after the other, but I'm not shooting a break open conversion. I've busted some well known scopes. I finally made the decision to just spend the money one time and bought my first Nightforce NSX.
Like you, but not the wife, the rifle hit on the turret on concrete. I paniced and called NF to send it in for repair. The rep laughed and told me the scope was fine but I could send it in if it would make me feel better :)
I sent it overnight on Monday and it came back on Friday. Like the rep stated, nothing was wrong.

My dad, R.I.P. always used to say, "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?"
Wish I'd have learned earlier........

I've already shot 50 or more rounds at that muzzle energy and velocity with the 350gr XLD's.
My LR Customs brake works perfectly.

I got tired of busting scopes one right after the other, but I'm not shooting a break open conversion. I've busted some well known scopes. I finally made the decision to just spend the money one time and bought my first Nightforce NSX.
Like you, but not the wife, the rifle hit on the turret on concrete. I paniced and called NF to send it in for repair. The rep laughed and told me the scope was fine but I could send it in if it would make me feel better :)
I sent it overnight on Monday and it came back on Friday. Like the rep stated, nothing was wrong.

My dad, R.I.P. always used to say, "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?"
Wish I'd have learned earlier........
So I'm not far off from that now.
But I'm not pushing that gun any harder than that.
Once I finish the sabot work I'll put on a brake and start bullet to bore.
I can push the full bull remington a bit harder.
It's a tank of a gun.
Might put on an ep5 to test it. Out.
You can't beat a nightforce. I love them they are thr bench mark I compare too
At last count I have 7 on various guns.
They have been rock solid performers over the years. I was looking for something that would perform and hold together that everyone can afford.
Even the break action guys. Which can be hard on a scope if you look at recoil energy in a given rifle based on the mass of the gun itself. A sharp shooting quick burning load in a sabot load canhave a more dramatic effect to a large charge of slow burning powder. That's more of a big push.

So I'm not far off from that now.
But I'm not pushing that gun any harder than that.
Once I finish the sabot work I'll put on a brake and start bullet to bore.
I can push the full bull remington a bit harder.
It's a tank of a gun.
Might put on an ep5 to test it. Out.
You can't beat a nightforce.
They have been rock solid performers over the years. I was looking for something that would perform and hold together that everyone can afford.
Even the break action guys. Which can be hard on a scope if you look at recoil energy in a given rifle based on the mass of the gun itself.
There are a number of shooters I know using the Arken and they are holding up.

There customer service is pretty good sometimes hard to get ahold of there warranty is lifetime but I haven't used it yet so I don't know...
They offered toi take the scope back for refund or exchange that had the miss match but I'm ok with it right now I'll deal with it later on.

Man I wish you would have posted this earlier! I just spent that much on a Viridian scope. It seems to be a pretty decent scope but I guess time will tell. I wish I could but I just don't have the funds to spend a couple grand on a rifle scope.
Good thread anyway and if I need a new scope I'm going to try one of these. Amazon has the 6-24x for $348

Forgive my
Would be interested in seeing some more rigorous Rokslide-type testing on this scope. There is a test on the Arken EPL-4 on Rokslide and it didn’t fare too well.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/arken-epl-4-4-16x44mm-field-eval.301668/
Yeh I won't be dropping my scope on purpose from 3 feet already had one slung across the floor onto hard tile at 4 am scared me to death heading to a hunt that next day after driving 300 miles and verifying my zero it was dead on the money.
You do realize there taking the scope on and off the rifle for each drop test.
I've never put much stock in that testing procedure.
My night forces don't far very well with repeated on and offs.
There always a little different. Especially on a base that may not be exactly square to the centerline of the bore. At 25 yards a pistol sight needs to be raised. 010 for every inch of POI change.
A pic rail has .006vto .008 clearance the scope could move forwards or backwards not to mention any torque variations from repeated on and off.
I had the arken on and off the remington a bunch and I noted impact shifts..
It still shot exceptionally well once stabilized.
It's the ring to base attachment that gets you. That really is where I've seen the most issues in alot of scope mounting.
Assuming the base is properly installed.
I have 7 or 8 NIGHT FORCE NSX COMPETITION and SHVs One of the main reasons I don't platoon my scopes.
His experience is a sample of one I'm shooting 9 of there various models at the moment and there doing fine.
I'm looking at a trend over about 6 or 8 months of shooting every day

Last edited:
Man I wish you would have posted this earlier! I just spent that much on a Viridian scope. It seems to be a pretty decent scope but I guess time will tell. I wish I could but I just don't have the funds to spend a couple grand on a rifle scope.
Good thread anyway and if I need a new scope I'm going to try one of these. Amazon has the 6-24x for $348
Man I'm sorry
I don't take this lightly and I wanted to make sure I had enough time with them to form a real world opinion of them
I've logged 1000s of rounds with them already.
Hundreds of 308 hundreds of 6.5cm hundreds of smokeless muzzleloaders

They have been very predictable and repeat.
That's my experience others may have a different view.

Environmental conditions alone can change the POI where you'll need to make an adjustment. Sometimes very slight, others much more. It doesn't have to be wind or rain.

Example only............ No wind, identical charges, bullets, etc., at 500yds you need 18moa at 8:00am and at noon you now need 19.5moa.

That's got to be a handful
Its not a stalking rifle...........

No, the tester doesn’t remove the scope during the drop testing. So any shifts are nearly always the fault of the scope itself.

Here is his procedure explained:

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-field-eval-explanation-and-standards.246775/
Oh man I definitely wont be doing that.
My opinion of droping a fine precision instrument attached or not to a gun is that it's not a good idea.
For years i was taught to verify my zero if i dropped my gun.
Well if they fail I'll know and report on that and how arken acts.

Back