Another .357 question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nugbuk

Reaction score
I measured muzzle velocity for some .357 loads.
Buffalo Bore pistol ammo 180-Gr. LFN-GC has listed velocity 1400 ft/sec - actual velocity was 1552 ft/sec.
Fastest handloads I had with Cast Performance LBT Heat-Treated Solid Handgun Hunting Bullets 180 GR WFNGC (max load by manufacturer 14Gr H110, also limited by case capacity) was only 1104 ft/sec.
Lapua manual also has fastest load with N110 and 180 GR bullets around 1300 ft/sec.

Does anyone have load close to Buffalo Bore listed velocity?

Hey Nug!

I measured muzzle velocity for some .357 loads.
Buffalo Bore pistol ammo 180-Gr. LFN-GC has listed velocity 1400 ft/sec - actual velocity was 1552 ft/sec.

It depends on what they used to get that listed velocity.. What handgun did you use and barrel length? Buffalo Bore has a reputation for loading their stuff pretty hot! Were the primers flattened? That 1552fps sounds too hot IMO. If you have a couple of those left, feel free to send them to Athens, AL and I'll chrono them in my 6" barrel 686 S&W.

Fastest handloads I had with Cast Performance LBT Heat-Treated Solid Handgun Hunting Bullets 180 GR WFNGC (max load by manufacturer 14Gr H110, also limited by case capacity) was only 1104 ft/sec.

So you are saying you used 14.0gr H-110 and got 1104fps? That actually sounds about right. 1100 to 1250fps is what most manuals have for a .357 Mag with 180gr jacketed bullets. Hard cast lead bullets DO typically give a higher velocity than their jacketed counterpart.

Lapua manual also has fastest load with N110 and 180 GR bullets around 1300 ft/sec.

Did you try the N-110?

By the end of the week I will HOPEFULLY have some loaded .44Mag with 300gr Cast Performance, 300gr A-Frames, and 300gr XTPs. AND....I'm going to load some .357s with the 180gr Cast Performance AND 180gr XTPs! I couldn't stand you loading some .357s and me NOT! :D

BTW...Here is a good link to see what others have done with their handgun reloads:

http://www.loadswap.com

Thanks Chuck.
BB is definitely loaded very hot. I?ll bring those to Tennessee. I only ordered one box from Cabelas to have some reference load.
I used 6?? S&W.
Hornady XTP is even slower ? around 990ft/sec. XTP is longer bullet and case capacity for H110 is limited.
I did not try N110 yet. Still waiting for it.
Thanks for the link.

I did not check for accuracy. This is a next step.
By the way how you do it with revolver? Using sand bags?
Got N110 yesterday and loaded some WFNGC?s and XTP?s 180GR with 14GR of N110.
Both are compressed loads. I guess its ok, since N110 is a stick powder.

By the way how you do it with revolver? Using sand bags?

You can use sandbags. I have used the Hoppe's Pistol rest for years. It's pretty good. I have just bought a MTM pistol rest. I'll try it out Sunday and give a report...

You gotta be careful using sand bags with hefty revolver loads, I have blown a few holes in mine over the years from the gas coming out between the cylinder and forcing cone. :lol:

Rifleman, thanks for the warning. I guess I need to get a Pistol rest now.

...or just put a couple layers of duct tape over your bags before you start blasting.

I do not think so, at least visually. I will check it tonight. I'll try to load them in cylinder.

No case bulging. :D
Shoot them Saturday using MTM rest.
180 GR WFNGC with 14GR of N110 - 1430 ft/sec
180 GR XTP with 14GR of N110 - 1300 ft/sec
25 yards:
WFNGC25.jpg
XTP25.jpg
BB25.jpg

50 yards:
FWNGC50.jpg
XTP50.jpg

I think I?m done reloading. Now I need more practice. :roll:

VENISONEATR said:
Great post partner :!:

I'm with you on that! My .357s aren't doing as well as Nugs are... :oops: I'm going to try some 2400 I think...

That little MTM rest is pretty good for a cheapo, isn't it?

nugbuk said:
I did not try N110 yet. Still waiting for it.

If ya need some, my local shop carries it and I can pick some up for ya.. $50 for 2lb

Thanks guys.
Chuck,
MTM rest indeed is a great and cheap buy. Thanks for the tip.

Doohan,
Thanks, I've got it. Actually those targets were shoot with N110. Great powder.

Latest posts

Back