Another d-mn issue primer size

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I had and issue with primer sizes but it turned out the modules just take a whole lot more force to set than I was expecting and used to on my 45-70 shell casings.

I deleted/edited out my original post.

Now I really do feel dumb!!

Thanks
John

Last edited:
Ever here the phrase the more I learn the more I realize what I don't know. I kind of feel like that once in a while. Been shooting rifles, shotguns, muzzle loaders and reloading for 35 years. It pains me what I still need to learn. I know enough to get by nicely but there is still more. Wish I could have worked with Townsend Whelen. But even he had much to learn. He was just smart enough to learn it on a government budget.

Dont sweat it phalanx, we've all been there.

Last edited:
I've heard and even used that phrase Snapbang and it certainly fits in this case!! I never inagined how much force it would take to seat them little buggers! May just have to use my reloading press from now on to save my hands.

Thanks for making me feel not so bad!

Yes those primer pockets are really tight. I found that, using a hand primer, I just start the primer then back off a little then fully seat. It seems like they need that little relief for the plunger to push it in straight.
You could also lightly chamfer the edge of the pocket.

Didn't think about chamfering them. That's not a bad idea. His tolerances are extremely tight!!
I found I had to get over the initial resistance, stop, and then run them home.

Didn't think about chamfering them. That's not a bad idea. His tolerances are extremely tight!!
Not sure I'd chamfer them. Down the road they may become too lose and the module no good.

I hand prime my modules.
My method, I start the primer. Then turn 180 degrees, seat some more, then turn 180 degrees, seat some more. Turn 180 degrees, seat, usually that last time is just making sure its bottom out. I do this modules and brass. Might not be the right way but that's how I do it.

Might try chamfering one or two and see how they work/last. In the end I am hoping they get easier to prime as I use them. I am sure at some point they will become too loose and I'll need to get new ones.

I'll have to check. I know he sells a bullet resizer. I sent him an email to see what advice he can give. I'll check his website too.

Update: I checked his website and he sells a resizer for the ASG modules so they can be brought back to original specs and used with multiple muzzleloaders. Thanks for the idea MM!

Last edited:
I'll have to check. I know he sells a bullet resizer. I sent him an email to see what advice he can give. I'll check his website too.

Update: I checked his website and he sells a resizer for the ASG modules so they can be brought back to original specs and used with multiple muzzleloaders. Thanks for the idea MM!
Seems like they could be resized, being brass. Maybe annealing would help too?

Thought I had and issue with primer sizes but it turned out the modules just take a whole lot more force to set than I was expecting and used to on my 45-70 shell casings.

I deleted/edited out my original post.

Now I really do feel dumb!!

Thanks
John
I wondering if a FL sizing die would help any

That's exactly what I do. I use a RCBS hand primer
Not sure I'd chamfer them. Down the road they may become too lose and the module no good.
I don't think putting a small radius on them would hurt. Just a slight bevel to align the primer to the pocket.
I hand prime my modules.
My method, I start the primer. Then turn 180 degrees, seat some more, then turn 180 degrees, seat some more. Turn 180 degrees, seat, usually that last time is just making sure its bottom out. I do this modules and brass. Might not be the right way but that's how I do it.
I hand prime too but what I do is start the primer, release the pressure then reapply and I can feel it going in and bottoming out. Granted it does take a significant amount of pressure to fully seat it.

Last edited:
Might try chamfering one or two and see how they work/last. In the end I am hoping they get easier to prime as I use them. I am sure at some point they will become too loose and I'll need to get new ones.
The modules should last a very long time in a Scout, probably the life of the gun. Unless you're shooting hot loads. If your shooting hot loads, sell the Scout and get a bolt gun.

LBAhunter, you know based on my posts and questions I don't intend on shooting hot loads out of this Scout. Not sure how you got that impression but I have no intention of using "hot" loads in this gun. My only concern was primer loading in these modules was the hardest I have ever seen and I've been reloading simce around 1973/74 and was very concerned as I saw no posts on how hard to load they were until I posed the question.
John

Last edited:
I didn't get the impression that you were. I was just letting you know that they should last a very long time/lifetime of gun unless you shoot very"hot" loads. The only time I've ever heard of modules primer pockets getting loose was when the pressure got too high. Even then the pressure was very high.

Thanks! Whew, i thought maybe I had posted something that would have given that impression. I agree those modules are beasts but thought as they are brass, the pockets would eventually wear. I was also thinking about getting some of the small rifle primer modules to see if they are any easier to load. My hands can't make the force required to load these in one sitting. Both have had carpal tunnel surgery and my primary arm's (right) ligaments were repaired by a surgeon (cut half out). My grip is now just above the level considered to be a disability. I may have to seriously set up my press for these. Getting old sucks!

Latest posts

Back