Another one that loads from the wrong end.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A kinda very nice April 1974 ( CY barrel code) Remington 700 ADL in .27 Winchester. Nice piece of wood under the factory finish, and a Weaver 3x9 in Redfield mounts.
The bore is a copper mine, but is cleaning up nicely. Good sharp throat. HAPPY DAY!
Minimal blueing wear hints her being a typical Pennsylvania deer rifle. Carried much, shot little. If so, this is my VERY good fortune. Her trigger is quite nice. May just leave it alone.
I like the .270. Shot three deer and my only bear, so far, with it in a Savage 110.
Bought this one to shoot at 2 and 300 yards. Really don't see myself hunting with it though.
... I know...
Will post pics once I get her clean and decide if I'll keep her more than a day.

Patches with Barnes CR10 solvent came out new denim blue and dried greener than my lawn.
The bore and throat are like a rolled up mirror.
Whew!
Cleaned the interior of the action while waiting for the solvent to do its thing. She was really very clean internally. No gummed/ oxidized gunk, weed seeds or lead smeared on the feed ramp.
A good clean rifle. Even the stock dings don't seem quite enough for a 49 year old hunting rifle.
Apparently, this one was cared for. Copper not withstanding.
I'll withhold any opinion until I get her dirty.
Until then, fingers/ toes etc crossed!

Ugh. I wish the RKW finish wasn't so difficult to photograph. You can see a bit of the very nice grain.
So, this is my .270.
Shot some Remington 130 grain Core Lokt factory loads and she did very well. About an inch for 3 at 100, give or take.
There were several challenges though. The trigger breaks cleanly, but at about 5 pounds. I'll be reducing that a bit.
Also, the scope is not quite vertical, so canting was an issue.
I tried the rifle without making any changes, other than tightening the rather loose stock bolts... just to get a baseline.
Also learned that she should be rested on, or just slightly ahead of the front stock bolt. Mid forend is not good due to the factory pressure point bedding.
The Weaver is a nice scope. Wish it was gloss though. Don't like matte finish on a beautifully polished/ blued rifle...
Anyway. I'll adjust the trigger, square up the scope and see what happens.
The .270 Winchester is about the upper end of likeability for me. I've had good fortune with this caliber both on the range and in the field.
We'll see how it goes. I've kept her more than a day!

Attachments

• 20230711_131501.jpg
    20230711_131501.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230711_131541.jpg
    20230711_131541.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 1
Well drat.
Took her out again and found out the .270 and I really aren't compatible. The muzzleblast was REALLY getting to me. This was a surprise! But it has been 10 years since I shot anything heavier than a .300 Savage...
So I traded it off for a very nice, very accurate 1951 production Marlin 336SC, 2/3rds magazine, in .30-30.
Live and learn...

Back