I done ( another) baaad thing...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to Cabelas in Hamburg Pa. I WAS going to buy a Marlin Camp .45, always wanted one.
Just for fun.
But. I spotted a DIRTY, STICKY Model 64 Winchester in .30-30. Sooo much gummed up, something, both internally and externally. Last time I had a rifle like this, it was a Yugo SKS. The ones that came with a lifetime supply of cosmoline...
This is a bucket list rifle, even though I'm a Marlin guy. Those old 336A waffle tops...
But the Model 64 is an exceptional rifle, soooo...
She was NOT cheap though. She appeares like a lot of Pennsylvania deer rifles. Carried much. Shot little.
She has less handling dings and finish wear than one would expect to see on a rifle that's 73 years old. Her serial number puts her manufacture in 1949.
Her bore is very pretty.
I gave her a quick clean and went to the range with a partial box of 170 grain Remingtons.
Feed, fire and ejection were all 100%. Flash, blast and recoil were all rather light. Fired cases were very nice. No bulges and primers were flush. Not used to that in Winchesters.
She shoots very low at 50 yards. Even with the sight at maximum elevation, she still hit 5 1/2" low. Ok for now.
3 shot groups at 50 yards were right around an inch.
When resting the rifle on the sandbag, groups were poor. When I put my hand on the bag, things got right. For open sights on a windy day, with plenty of glare, I think the results were pretty good for a " get aquainted" secession.
Thought I was done with breechloaders...

Attachments

• 20221027_161802.jpg
    20221027_161802.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
The front sight may not be original?

Older guns can be very special. I think my 94, chambered in 32 Win dates to the 40’s or so. I just sighted in my 284 Winchester yesterday for my MI deer hunt. I like it cuz it’s a light weight, 20” barreled gun. Where & how I hunt, I carry a fair bit for that chance of a shot or 2.

Wait, you finally found a bucket list rifle in decent shape and sold it the first time at the range?!
I've been there - done that. I had 2 bucket list rifles. A nice pre-64 model 94 in 32 spl for about 2 years and sold it for twice what I paid for it. The other was a model 71 in 348 win. all original in exceptional condition. I got an offer that was just too good to pass up. I guess my thirst for those 2 were satisfied.
I still have a fondness for lever rifles. I have another 94 in 30-30 (pre64), a couple marlin 1895s in .45-70 and some henrys. I'm keeping my eye out for a marlin 1894 or win 94 in .44 mag. at a decent price.

Nice to know I'm not the only one!
I put together my high school dream rifle without realizing I was doing it.
A 1979 production Remington Model 760, .35 Remington, with a Leupold M8 4x in low Leupold rings and a standard base.
The rifle was literally n.i.b when I got her. 170 rounds down range as of today.
Oh MY does she SHOOT!
NOT FOR SALE OR TRADE.
We return to you regularly scheduled fantasy, already in progress...

Attachments

• 20230213_224408.jpg
    20230213_224408.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Some guns just stick to you and some don't.I don't know what it is, the caliber, the action, the wood? Ar my place auto loaders pass straight through. If I see a nice one at the right price, home it goes. Down to the range and then trade bait. Same with levers. I like well fitted arms with worn blue and wood that tells me it was a well liked piece, but you can't keep everything. What will never move. A 50 cal flinter., a Swift, a Remington Matchmaster converted to single shot, a pair of 12 ga Winchester model 50s, a 98k in custom stock and heavy barrel 6mm, and a 44 stainless wheel gun. Each has a special place for different reasons. When I pick up any of them either to clean/polish or to shoot they just feel right and say "thanks" in a special way. Nuts right? No! It is why we do this.Your model 64 tale made me think. Thanks.

A 1979 production Remington Model 760, .35 Remington, with a Leupold M8 4x in low Leupold rings.

Beautiful 760.. In Pa we call those the Amish A.R.

Thanks all.
Used to see 760s all the time. Not so much anymore though.
Now it's flyweight bolt guns, Tupperware stock,in the latest fad caliber and an observatory size scope with a cluttered up reticle.
Every now and then I see someone totin' a finish worn, or beat up, ol' rifle and I SMILE.
I'll gladly rub some linseed oil into a piece of walnut. Can't see myself, too old/ feeble to take her for a walk, lovingly rubbing Armorall on the plastic...

Latest posts

Back