anyone chopped their Renegade barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
And if so please explain what you used to do it, recrown barrel etc... also how is accuracy afterward, did its favorite load change speeds w/load used, what are you shooting out of it etc... I really like my Renegade, it shoots 240 gr. XTP`s into a 1.5 in. group at 55 yds w/open sights but it is very unwieldy when hunting out of a climbing treestand, hard to get on target quickly and smoothly, also would like to decrease the weight a bit.. pictures would be nice also... Ive tried the search function but keep coming up with random stuff that has nothing to do with the info. I need.. thanks for any help ahead of time.

I never cut the barrel. Instead I purchased a 21 inch Green Mountain 1-28 twist barrel for shooting sabots, out of tree stands and for walking.

dont believe GM is making mz barrels anymore are they, also this barrel was a rehab, it was all rusty w/pitting when I got it so its not worth anything even though it shoots good..not really wanting to put 200.00 in a barrel either when I gave 75.00 for the gun.Its a hunting gun so not worried about future value or looks as far as that goes.Might take a look on e-bay and see whats available.

Gm still makes plenty of MZ barrels. That is the barrel Knight Rifles still uses. They still list plenty on their web site. If you plan to shorten the barrel you will need a new Dovetail cut for the front site. Unless you plan to cut the Dove tail your self with a saw and file, might be easiest to have a smith do it.

Just looked at GM`s web page, I stand corrected was thinking they quit making them all together... couldnt find the 21 in. LRH only the 28 in. LRH, do they no longer carry the 21 in. barrel.? As far as cutting a dovetail I was planning on leaving just the scope on it, no open sights.
Just wanting a short quick to the shoulder Renegade.

Latest posts

Back