Anyone ever turned rifle to pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone ever converted a muzzleloader rifle into a pistol? Reason Im asking isf instead of buying a CVA Optima pistol which is the same frame as the Optima I believe, Ive got a couple of Optimas that I traded for that are canidates for a project like this..
Only problem I can see is getting a grip made for the pistol grip, as the stock screw angle is totally different then whats on the pistol. Any thoughts, other then selling both rifles and just buying the pistol?

You may want to be very careful here. Although laws regarding muzzleloaders are far less annoying than with breechloaders, this may be an exception. It is absolutely illegal to make a handgun out of a rifle. The only way you can make a handgun based on a rifle action is if the action had NEVER been used as a rifle. Proving that would be... Anyway, that's how it is for breechloaders. it may be different for muzzleloaders, but i wouldn't want to chance it without a letter from the BATFE giving the ok. Also , it used to be that 209 fired muzzleloaders were classed as firearms and needed a 4473 to be filled out. That has changed , but it could come back.T/C switch barrels had an exception too , I believe, swapping handgun for rifle was ok if it started as a pistol first.that can be confirmed by the 4473 at purchase. Be careful and check carefully!

Semisane said:
There are no legal issues. A muzzleloader is not a "firearm" covered under Federal firearm regulations.

Exactly, my understanding is a muzzleloader that cannot have the barrels switched out to centerfire calibers is not in any way a firearm and no firearm regs. apply to them...

In the Great state of Cuomo (sorry NY) you must register a muzzleloading or BP handgun on your license if you posess the components to load it. Converting a rifle to a handgun would definitely raise some eyebrows at the local precinct when you went to register it and don't have documents stating it was a pistol to begin with.

ShawnT said:
In the Great state of Cuomo (sorry NY) you must register a muzzleloading or BP handgun on your license if you posess the components to load it. Converting a rifle to a handgun would definitely raise some eyebrows at the local precinct when you went to register it and don't have documents stating it was a pistol to begin with.
Glad Im in Indiana for that very reason, our State goverment understands the difference between Firearms and Muzzleloaders, at least for now:)

Made one out of a Knight Disc.It works good,it's accurite,but it's heavey.Perfectly legal Here in Michigan.

junkman said:
Made one out of a Knight Disc.It works good,it's accurite,but it's heavey.Perfectly legal Here in Michigan.

Hey junkman...Can you post pictures of your Knight DISC pistol?

How the heck do you post pictures on here?I tried to do a copy and paste from the Michigan sportsman forum but it would not let me.

junkman said:
How the heck do you post pictures on here?I tried to do a copy and paste from the Michigan sportsman forum but it would not let me.

Hope you don't mind?

Before camo and scope.
picture.php

After.
picture.php

Busta said:
junkman said:

Hope you don't mind?

Before camo and scope.
picture.php

After.
picture.php
Now that is just cool right there! 8)

Busta,

Would it be heavier than your CVA?

ShawnT,
You'd have to ask junkman, but I would think it would be heavier than the Optima Pistol.

Yes it is alot heavier than the optima.I don't remember offhand how much it weighs but I can throw it on my kitchen scale if you're interested.And thank you for the assist Busta.

I load it with 80 gr volume and a 300 gr Hornady .458 hp.It's fun to shoot,normaly that's the one everybody wants to try.

junkman said:
I load it with 80 gr volume and a 300 gr Hornady .458 hp.It's fun to shoot,normaly that's the one everybody wants to try.
Thats a neat looking pistol.. any specs on it, how about accuracy and at what distance...is the pistol grip just formed from the stock or is it added on?

Busta said:
junkman said:

Hope you don't mind?

Before camo and scope.
picture.php

After.
picture.php
Now that I see this pistol it makes me want to try it even more, Junkman if you get it chance weigh your pistol, I really dont believe it can be that much heavier then the Optima... what is the length of your total pistol and barrel by itself...?

junkman said:
Yes it is alot heavier than the optima.I don't remember offhand how much it weighs but I can throw it on my kitchen scale if you're interested.And thank you for the assist Busta.

You're welcome!

Latest posts

Back