Anyone Finding Quality Large Rifle/Large Rifle Magnum Primers Anywhere?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am continually looking for Large Rifle Primers (both regular and Magnum)- I see some available on Ammoseek, but they are off-brand primers, or the brand name primers are being offered by companies I'm not familiar with. I have totally been burned before buying from a company on Ammoseek, so I am a little leery of some of those places. Anyone purchased from Republic Ammunition before? I see one place selling Large Rifle Magnums at the rate of $30/100. $300 for 1000 primers-that is almost enough to make me stop shooting my smokeless. I have also seen a few on Gunbroker, but again very expensive. This is another reason I don't shoot my smokeless that much. Anyone with any ideas??

I still haven’t seen any large rifle primers in stock anywhere, but all the Academy stores I’ve been in lately have had large pistol, small pistol, small rifle primers, and full shelves of ammo. With this being an election year, I’m convinced this is the calm before the storm.

I’m not in a bind, but I’m needing a few 209 primers and am fixing to order some cheddites since that’s all that seems to be available.

I’d recommend getting what ammo, powder, and primers you want or need bought pretty soon, because I’m predicting empty shelves again by September.

I’m not in a bind, but I’m needing a few 209 primers and am fixing to order some cheddites since that’s all that seems to be available.

Cheddites work fine. I've used a mess of them since last fall and winter with BH209 and a bunch with the Patriot burning smokeless, again since last fall thru the winter. They and IMR4198 got along together fine at -5 one day last winter doing the smokeless.

Do you have a Cabela's or Bass Pro nearby? I often order powder and primers from them and ship to the store for pickup. There's no hazmat fee or shipping on ship to store. It's not unusual to get 1000 primers for $90-100. Large rifle is the most scarce, but still available from time to time.

Cheddites work fine. I've used a mess of them since last fall and winter with BH209 and a bunch with the Patriot burning smokeless, again since last fall thru the winter. They and IMR4198 got along together fine at -5 one day last winter doing the smokeless.
My interest in 209’s is for shotgun reloading, and the only complaint I’ve heard is about the cheddites is they’re slightly oversized compared to Win 209’s. I’m not shooting skeet or sporting clays anymore, so I won’t be going through a lot of them but want to have an adequate supply going into the fall election/ammo scare season.

I still haven’t seen any large rifle primers in stock anywhere, but all the Academy stores I’ve been in lately have had large pistol, small pistol, small rifle primers, and full shelves of ammo. With this being an election year, I’m convinced this is the calm before the storm.

I’d recommend getting what ammo, powder, and primers you want or need bought pretty soon, because I’m predicting empty shelves again by September.
Bass Pro had Remington. Sportsmans Warehouse had CCI. Got Federals from an LGS. They were all LR. No LMR. Travelling to PA next weekend to pick up some more a member on another board found for me. CCI LR and Remington LMR.

I am continually looking for Large Rifle Primers (both regular and Magnum)- I see some available on Ammoseek, but they are off-brand primers, or the brand name primers are being offered by companies I'm not familiar with. I have totally been burned before buying from a company on Ammoseek, so I am a little leery of some of those places. Anyone purchased from Republic Ammunition before? I see one place selling Large Rifle Magnums at the rate of $30/100. $300 for 1000 primers-that is almost enough to make me stop shooting my smokeless. I have also seen a few on Gunbroker, but again very expensive. This is another reason I don't shoot my smokeless that much. Anyone with any ideas??
I’ve never bought anything from Republic Ammo, but I just checked out their website & I saw no immediate obvious telltale sign of it being another scammer site.

Bass Pro had Remington. Sportsmans Warehouse had CCI. Got Federals from an LGS. They were all LR. No LMR. Travelling to PA next weekend to pick up some more a member on another board found for me. CCI LR and Remington LMR.
Sounds like you’ve done well where you are, but for whatever reason, they don’t seem to be making it to Texas or Oklahoma.
To be transparent, I don’t need them but have a lot of friends in both states that do. I already have more large rifle and magnum large rifle primers on hand than I will use in what time I have left here on earth.

Last Wednesday I got (5) Bricks of the Federal GM210M Large Rifle Match Primers from Scheels in Johnstown, CO for $99.99 each. Never thought I would ever pay that Much but got to have them to Shoot. Surprised the kid let me buy that many, he said we have (31) more in the back” so Federal is sending them Out. I notified several Friends that drove over there immediately!

Last edited:
My interest in 209’s is for shotgun reloading, and the only complaint I’ve heard is about the cheddites is they’re slightly oversized compared to Win 209’s. I’m not shooting skeet or sporting clays anymore, so I won’t be going through a lot of them but want to have an adequate supply going into the fall election/ammo scare season.
Gottcha.

I got some federal large rifle mag primers from Natchez a couple weeks ago. I use shootingbot.com to find supplies. Just got to set up email and check off the stuff you’re looking for and it sends you emails when stuff is found on a few web sites. I will say though that most places don’t seem to get many cases of mag primers, sometimes they are gone before I get to the website.

I got some federal large rifle mag primers from Natchez a couple weeks ago. I use shootingbot.com to find supplies. Just got to set up email and check off the stuff you’re looking for and it sends you emails when stuff is found on a few web sites. I will say though that most places don’t seem to get many cases of mag primers, sometimes they are gone before I get to the website.
Same here. If you're not setting directly on your email, you'll be to late.

I was finding it harder than finding worm teeth looking for LRPrimers. I stumbled upon a local gun shop with a large supply of Ginex LRP's.
I am going to try them out in a Variflame Conversion and BH209. We shall see.

Last Wednesday I got (5) Bricks of the Federal GM210M Large Rifle Match Primers from Scheels in Johnstown, CO for $99.99 each. Never thought I would ever pay that Much but got to have them to Shoot. Surprised the kid let me buy that many, he said we have (31) more in the back” so Federal is sending them Out. I notified several Friends that drove over there immediately!
Unfortunately they don’t ship hazmat stuff but the site said they are working on it, I don’t have any of their stores in my state.🙁

I've all but given up on the gun shops. At the same time I've had pretty good luck with the farm supply stores. In the last few months I could have bought a couple thousand LRP's or LRMP's, and currently could buy a couple thousand W209's. I'm doing ok on various 209's but I'll probably grab a few packs whenever I stop in and they have them. My biggest concern is not seeing any powders locally anymore. I'd like to pick up a couple more pounds of 4198 and some N120 to try.

Latest posts

Back