Are there muzzloaders that don’t like a certain powder ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
I ask this question for a couple of reasons . First I brought out a old Buckstalker and used FFFG 777 just aiming at a 10x10 plate and hitting was after I changed bullet from 458 Hornady to Hornady sst both 300 and respective Harvester sabot was not an issue but I did detect inconsistencies . Now powder was about 2-3 yrs old had been opened multiple times so it could have been that or fines in the bottom of the tub . I also found I unburnt powder when using Winchester 777 and switched to the new Federal primers .

I’ve seen this before with my Rossi it will not shoot 777 no matter what but it will shoot Blackhorn 209 under 1.5 inches with 458 socom in a purple sabot at .508 diameter.

Now I will admit that I partially screwed up by assuming the scope adjustment was 1/4 per click @ 100 instead it was 1/2 per Burris manual .

One of my muzzys, a CVA Accura V2, despises BH209. I can't get it to shoot with it no matter what I try regarding bullets or loads. Yet I take that same rifle with Pyrodex RS or Alliant Black MZ and it will shoot MOA accuracy! It baffles me but it is what it is.

Muzzleloaders aren't much different from centerfire as far as load development goes, it is just a matter of scale.

In my 223 I tried 4 loads .4 gr apart to find the best... and then I tried .1 on either side to see if things changed ... then called it good enough.

With my .54 percussion, 30gr 3Fg will drive the ball plenty good for plinking at 25 and 50 yards without hurting the shoulder at all. Probably the load I'll use during front-stuffer turkey season this coming fall...

50-60gr 3Fg and the .54 round ball is enough to kill a deer or pig... but max load is 150gr 2Fg so figure 125gr 3Fg is a wise upper limit. If I were to decide to go after deer, pig, the escaped African Kudu from a local zoo, etc I'd start at 60gr and check accuracy, if it needed more help I'd try a felt wad over the powder, and if it then needed more I'd start bumping the charge by 10gr and go up to about 90 before deciding it wasn't going to get any better if only 'cause my shoulder doesn't wanna shoot 425gr maxis on top of 90gr 3Fg more than once or twice in a row which makes getting a group kinda hard...

I had very bad luck one day with 777. Don't know why, and it could have been my fault. But now I stick to Pyrodex RS, or Select, if I can find it.

I ask this question for a couple of reasons . First I brought out a old Buckstalker and used FFFG 777 just aiming at a 10x10 plate and hitting was after I changed bullet from 458 Hornady to Hornady sst both 300 and respective Harvester sabot was not an issue but I did detect inconsistencies . Now powder was about 2-3 yrs old had been opened multiple times so it could have been that or fines in the bottom of the tub . I also found I unburnt powder when using Winchester 777 and switched to the new Federal primers .

I’ve seen this before with my Rossi it will not shoot 777 no matter what but it will shoot Blackhorn 209 under 1.5 inches with 458 socom in a purple sabot at .508 diameter.

Now I will admit that I partially screwed up by assuming the scope adjustment was 1/4 per click @ 100 instead it was 1/2 per Burris manual .
I would have to say no, but there are muzzleloader shooters who don't like certain powders for whatever reason.

Latest posts

Back