Autozone strikes back!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Yeah, another Autozone part went out on the jeep today. The past few times I've gone to PT I noticed a bump out of the blue but that was it, just a single burp.

Today taking off from a stop sign and going up a hill, all hell broke loose, bumping, banging, scared the day lights out of me because I had no cell service. Made it up over the hill and on the down slope, it cleared up a bit and then starts like hell again.

Water in fuel! Had to be the way it cleared up and ran strong.

Did PT, Went to autozone for some wax, on the way back, even worse! Just felt a single blip and it broke into stuttering like a mofo.

Pulled over, let it run while i pulled the air cleaner, worked the throttle and a weak stream that only would repeat itself if i pumped it hard.

Got it running fine but had to run higher rpm to keep up the fuel supply, Pulled the fuel line and turned the motor over and it took around 2-4 seconds before a single pulse of fuel came out the filter!

Filter tested out like new, easy to blow through, but the pause/gap between each fuel cycle was enough to tell me that pump is bad, with a whopping 2000 miles on it!

Called napa and they have one in stock so i'll swing by tomorrow and pick it up.

Screw this autozone ****!

While working on the fuel like, I looked at some small vacuum lines at the engine block and autozone strikes again! They were so cracked up after 6 months, one was actually cracked completely through like a tire with a blown out sidewall.

They'll be getting a nice email with pictures, along with their facebook page.

Got tired of fixing carbs (at least 4) fuel lines etc so now I run premium fuel in my older stuff that has rubber components not designed for methanol and it makes a big difference.  Weedeater, chainsaw, mowers, 4 wheeler etc. In the 5 gal can I bring gas home in I add some stabilizer or sea foam. The '56 Ford hot rod gets premium anyway due to high compression. 

Had a plastic boat type fuel tank for the generator on the old toy hauler. Rebuilt the fuel pump and carb, replaced fuel lines but still no go. Dropped a line in to a gas can and uden-uden.  The lines INSIDE the tank were toast.  If you bought stuff based on the make/model and it was pre ethanol......well that's probably the reason. 

Your guv-ment at work.  By the way Gore said he only voted for and broke the tie in the senate on ethanol because he needed farm votes from Kentucky and Indiana in his run for president. 
TC

heres the 3 vacuum lines. What a joke!
img_7013.jpg

img_7014.jpg

img_7015.jpg

Jonathan,

I have had better luck with products from Carquest than Napa, the only choices I have within 150 miles.

The local jobber adds Star Tron when he fills my 440 gallon gas tank. No Stable needed as gas is good for well over a year and some ranch rigs are only used a couple months out of a year, and no chain saw carb problems either.

John

I too have had Autozone parts failures. Only two.  But it ain't going to be three.

My problems with Autozone had to do with the personnel. Gave me the wrong parts a couple of times. They only hire idiots.

When I need parts for the car or truck I usally get from Rock Auto...they have OEM parts and other good brand names...and great prices and fast shipping...if I need a part that day i use NAPA...and I always ask if there is a altenative to chinese parts like ones from USA or Canada...a little more pricey but better in the long run...SOMETIMES..lol...

Carquest is another good place but I do not know if they are all over the country...

Autozone is like harbor frieght..all chinese stuff...

Reading Jonathans first post light went on made in Fing China. Like some of you have mentioned china. We all like cheaper prices in one form or another. How many of you shop at Sams or Costco. Ever look at the food labels about where its processed or grown??????? Especially in the fish section at Sams. Made in China. No thanks not me I will pay the extra and get fish I know isnt processed in the sewer ponds of China.

Yea I agree vacuum lines shouldn't be getting ethanol so junk for sure.  Still ethanol is BAD on rubber and older power equip.

I just saw a report on the local news yesterday that 80% of the 'grouper' and 'snapper' sold in stores or restaurants is talapia or catfish raised in China's horribly polluted rivers.

Does Harbor Freight sell fish?

Autozone does not have a monopoly on peddling cheap made in China junk:   Most  do it.   Last fall a friend was bragging about the good deal he got on an engine re-build kit for his old Toyota pickup.  i've re-built a bunch of those engines and told  him  return the junk.   Yep, he  spent a lot of time rebuilding that 22R-E engine only to have  the made in China timing chain break a couple months later;  destroying the engine.    Now his otherwise  well cared for pickup sits in the junk yard.    

Many of the once good quality sporting goods products are now made in China.   Met a hunter who had an Uncle Mike's sling swivel break while carrying the gun on his shoulder.  The gun hit the ground and trashed an expensive  Leupold scope.   Yep,  Uncle Mike's stuff is made in China.  

For the most part, the companies charge  as much for made in China junk as they did for quality made in the USA products.  It's about corporate greed, nothing more.

" Met a hunter who had an Uncle Mike's sling swivel break while carrying the gun on his shoulder.  The gun hit the ground and trashed an expensive  Leupold scope."

At least he had the sense to buy a Leupold scope. They'll replace if free.

Okay, fuel pump is on and running perfect again, for now!

The napa gasket, included 2 of them and they both fell apart LMAO. Luckily I still had a spare from the engine gasket kit.

yeah not for a 73 jc5. They'll look at you and laugh. I cant even get a timing chain from ford for a 91 f250.

For some parts, going to the dealer for them is the best choice.
Not Toyota parts.   Their prices are horrible.   Thankfully OE made in Japan engine parts for old Toyota pickups are available from other sources.

Latest posts

Back