Turned Pups Loose

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A 3 day antlerless season opened this morning. I was in my 1st climber at dark thirty watching n waiting. Had my crossbow, i saw 35 tree rats n one lonely Hen snurky. She was 12-15 yards down in front of me. She was having a great time chasing down grasshoppers, i watched her til she left. I got down at 9:06 am. Started doing daily chores, had to go to Lebanon to open a Banking acct. n get some stuff at ALDI came home. Put everything up n let ramp down on cargo trailer n set in the scooter chair with sandbag on stool top n T/C Black Diamond XR SS resting on bag. I saw the 3 pt. let him walk, then Doe with twins came in to block 90+ yards. Pushing legal light n the big Doe eased out clear n turned about broadside. Boom fire n smoke belched out the muzzle. I barely can see 4 tick toters running here n there. So i came to our Skoolie n opened door, told my pups dead deer n pointed to the woodline. My Puggle Josey takes off like a flash with nugget behind her. I have my light n slowly following them. Josey pie has found the dead deer n proud of herself. Nugget is about to shake himself all over. He is scared of the big Doe even though she is dead. I ran my 1 ton block n tackle on a big cedar limb. Then i gutted her took couple pics. Pulled her up into the tree n tied her off till in the morning. High back of left shoulder n top of lungs bang flop. 75 gr T7-2f dry wool wad over powder. Used a 230 gr .451 XTP blk. sabot. I have a Bushnel Trophy 3x9 set on 6x. So some good eats here at our little living camp. I am tired n going to sleep.

I got her skinned her out n got the meat boned out. It really took it out of me. I am resting the rest of the day. 104 yards was the shot distance. The 230 gr xtp passed through both shoulders. 2nd time with that load bullet combo n blood shot hit area on both sides. I will just feed my pups those shoulders.

Congrats! them black diamonds will do their part if you do yours. Can`t go wrong with them xtp`s either.
Yes sir they do work well, certainly accurate to put meat in the pot. That one yesterday has been my longest shot with it. I have owned it 19 years n that is my 5th tick toter with it.

Latest posts

Back