Avoid October Country. They will rip you off.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I bought two of the Tradition's Bore Lights from October Country for a total of $29.34 with tax. I received the RMC Ox-Yokes in their stead. I called October Country and was told they were out of the Traditions but sent the RMCs, which were more expensive (around $14) They did not charge me for the difference.

I explained BACO sold the RMCs for $9.79 and I sent them the link. I wasn't going to keep the wrong item for that price. I was given the opportunity to return them, which I did. Initially I was told the return postage was on me. When I protested this was due to their error, they relented.

I was given a $29.34 refund for my purchase but not for the $16.35 return postage.
Due to October Country's error, I was given a product I didn't order, and to returned them, I was forced to pay the return postage.

BACO sells the RMC bore lights for $9.79. October Country initially sold them for over $14 and have since lowered the price to match their Traditions price of $12.39.

Attachments

• Order Summary.PNG
    Order Summary.PNG
    126.3 KB · Views: 0
  • USPS Postage Paid.PNG
    USPS Postage Paid.PNG
    167.8 KB · Views: 0
  • October Country Refund_Pic of Redacted.png
    October Country Refund_Pic of Redacted.png
    271 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I've only bought a few items from them. I think their shipping is a bit pricey but beyond that, I don't have any complaints.

So, you’re now out $16.35 and still don’t have the bore lights you wanted.

I tend to take the bird in the hand approach especially on inexpensive items. I would’ve just kept the wrong lights that were sent and ordered what I wanted from someone else.

This is October Country's response to my going to the Better Business Bureau.
They are making their mistake, my fault. I could have kept their substitution... BS

Dan,

We offered to let you keep the RMC Bore Light for the same price as the TRAD Bore Light, which would have worked, and has for other customers, saving you the time and expense to return the order. You chose to return the order because we would not match Buffalo Arms price. You originally paid $4.56 to ship the order to you via First Class USPS mail, but chose to return it via priority mail and insure it for $16.35 which we did not authorize you to do. That was your choice, not ours, and we will not reimburse you for the method you chose to return without authorization. We have been in business for 42 years, and are obviously doing something right to continue a successsfull business. While companies cannot claim to please all the people all the time, we receive far more positive reviews than negative ones. We are not concerned about your negative review putting our business in harms way.

If you wish to pursue this further, please call or email us, and the Owner of the company will be happy to reiterate the above to you.

Thank you,
Donna
October Country Muzzleloading
208-762-4903"

Wow! I’m shocked if that’s there response

I tend to take the bird in the hand approach especially on inexpensive items.
I wanted the Traditions Bore Light because it provide white light in the bore. The Ox-Yoke is a yellow-green and It's harder for me to see what is actually in the bore.
I didn't know if I was sent the wrong item by mistake, so I called them. October Country didn't have the one I wanted, so someone made the substitution.

I asked if I had been given a rebate or refund for the difference in price. Their representative checked and said the Ox-Yoke was more expensive than the Traditions and they didn't up-charge me for the difference. I knew their price was way off. I had seen and could have bought them at my local Muzzleloader store for under $10. Now, I had a set of Bore Lights I didn't want at a price I knew was over inflated.

So, what do I do? I emailed the representative the Buffalo Arms cost for those lights at $9.79 which was a little higher than my local store. I was given a choice whether to keep the lights for the price I had been charged or send them back.

It wasn't until the October Country cost for those lights was confirmed by the rep with the owner, I realized I had been had. I ordered one thing. They substituted it with something of lesser value at a higher cost and sent it to me, without my permission.

They gave me the choice whether to keep the lights or send them back. I sent them back.

Last edited:
I think you'd have been way ahead of the game by going to the local store and learning to use the color of light available there.

I bought two of the Tradition's Bore Lights from October Country for a total of $29.34 with tax. I received the RMC Ox-Yokes in their stead. I called October Country and was told they were out of the Traditions but sent the RMCs, which were more expensive (around $14) They did not charge me for the difference.

I explained BACO sold the RMCs for $9.79 and I sent them the link. I wasn't going to keep the wrong item for that price. I was given the opportunity to return them, which I did. Initially I was told the return postage was on me. When I protested this was due to their error, they relented.

I was given a $29.34 refund for my purchase but not for the $16.35 return postage.
Due to October Country's error, I was given a product I didn't order, and to returned them, I was forced to pay the return postage.

BACO sells the RMC bore lights for $9.79. October Country initially sold them for over $14 and have since lowered the price to match their Traditions price of $12.39.
OMG, stop the whining!
Sounds like someone there tried to fill an order with a more expensive item, rather than just cancel or back order your item. At least you have a real human being who responded to your phone call! Try that with Amazon or Walmart!
When I worked retail, many moons ago, I hated customers like you. This makes me MORE likely to buy from October Country, not less likely!

Attachments

• 7135A12C-2770-4361-BA30-A9FA5FD31319.jpeg
    7135A12C-2770-4361-BA30-A9FA5FD31319.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1
This makes me MORE likely to buy from October Country, not less likely!
I my opinion retailers like this, lack credibility and integrity. If you put yourself in that definition, well that's on you.

BYW, they didn't upgrade me. Would you really give someone a Toyota when they ordered a VW? I ordered what I wanted, they gave me what I could have purchased locally for a lot less (around $9 or BACO for $10), If I didn't want what I could have had here, why would I accept it from an online retailer who switched out what I did want, with what I didn't.

If you believe this is acceptable, then I'm glad I never did business with you.

Last edited:
I think you'd have been way ahead of the game by going to the local store and learning to use the color of light available there.
I did. All they had was the Ox-Yoke, which was around $9. I didn't want that. If I did, I would have bought it there.

Why should I, the customer, learn to use a color I didn't want or like, when what I did want was supposed to be available? Do you understand different colors bring out or mask different things in the barrel? To me, white allows me to see the barrel for what it is, and yellow-green masks it to some extent.

To prove this, try wearing colored glasses and see what disappears or becomes muted. We use clear lenses or white light to get the best our of our vision.

Why would I accept an Android instead of an iPhone? I paid for the iPhone, but I was given an Android. I should just learn to accept the Android. Right?

We should all accept black colored phones or cars, because the color we paid for wasn't there and that is what we were given.

We should all accept what we are given, instead of what we pay for. Especially, when what we are given can be purchased for 20% less a couple other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back