BACO Long Range GG Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Was in BACO earlier and was able to talk with Jim (The Mold Maker) I ended up ordering this mold, he figured he could have it cut for me next week. They had this exact same bullet in .452 (which would be ideal if it casted EXACTLY there) but i really need a little more Flexibility for perfect Bore fit, This 1:18 Twist ‘Business Rifle’ Actually has a .452 Bore, Had i went with the .452 and it casted ANYTHING under .452 they would be to loose. I have a sizer die that I HIGHLY polished and have it dead on .452, My bullets just ‘Kiss’ the riflings all the way down. Going with this .453 i will have the flexibility i need if it drops at .452.5 etc., i can slide them through the above mentioned sizer die and have an ideal fit. I have spent quite a bit of time messing with this rifle and know the bore well :D I want this new GG bullet to just ‘Kiss’ the Bore all the way down, and going through this Custom sizer i polished out will make them do just that. Sure hope this bullet shoots good in this rifle. My BACO Elliptical shaped PP .443-530 is a fine bullet and i plan to shoot it a bunch, But i also wanted a Good GG Bullet, Hopefully i found it here :yeah:

A7bdxoE.jpg

I recognize that bullet!

Attachments

• BACO 451 540 mold.jpg
    BACO 451 540 mold.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 151
  • BACO Knight 451 540.jpg
    BACO Knight 451 540.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 151
  • BACO Knight 500 .jpg
    BACO Knight 500 .jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 151
52bore, Have you shot that bullet much? What is your opinion of it?

I took my Long Ranger out this evening to see where i would be with my new taller Shaver’s Ferriss front sight? Our snow has gone way down in the last few days, stil well over a foot but i was able to root my way out there! I was able to get a true 100 yards (107 to be exact!) The bullets i used were the Lyman 457121PH, They weighed 477 Grains with roughly 30:1 (9-9.5 BHN on my Cabin Tree) I hand lubed and sized them to .452, My powder charge was 85 weight Grains of Swiss 2F, .060 Vege Wad on the powder, 1/8 Wool Wad on top of Vege. I was pleased with the results, lots of testing left to do with this Rig at longer ranges, another 3 weeks or so til i can get to those spots

Won’t be any problem getting my 100 yard Zero now! My cold clean bore was on a Deep steam cleaning from the last outing, it’s the loner upper right, i shot 3 went and checked, Made a sight adjustment and shot the other 3, I didn’t quite get high enough, At least i am in the ballpark now :yeah:
zX48MZH.jpg

My Rifle, My bench leveled up nice in the snow
bKtb7sR.jpg

And the bullet, Lyman 457121PH (Whitworth they call it?)
SCDGuFf.jpg

It shot well. As good as many others.
When Justin shot it in the K500 at 300 yds a few years ago - he said it was the best group he had ever shot at 300.
It comes with the rifle, they wanted to supply a GG and not a PP.

Attachments

• K500 ad.jpg
    K500 ad.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 126
52Bore said:
It shot well. As good as many others.
When Justin shot it in the K500 at 300 yds a few years ago - he said it was the best group he had ever shot at 300.
It comes with the rifle, they wanted to supply a GG and not a PP.

Thanks 52, That’s some neat history. I have high hopes in this one, so far PP hasn’t been anything super great in this rifle? But this has all been 75 yards to 100 yards MAX, i need to get my 530 Grain BACO Elliptical nose .443 PP mold out and pour up more bullets for further testing, The last outing with them wasn’t to bad. Now that the weather is getting better it wont be long and i will be able to Streeeeeetch this barrel out where it belongs, there is stil to much snow in my longer range spots. I keep thinking I should be able to get 1” groups with the 530 PP bullets at 100 yards? Yesterday i got it (or darn close to it) with the big Lyman bullet greased and sized to .452, But i dont see this Lyman bullet being near as good as my 530s for REALLY long stuff? (500 and beyond) I need to adjust powder charges, wad combos, etc. lots of playing around to do yet before i can make much judgment. Sure be nice to have a Good GG and PP to reach a 1,000 yards. 1,000 is not gonna be an easy range for me to find in this country, i know a few places i can shoot across canyons at rocks, but not places i can access targets at that range. I have 1 place over in Wa state, i stil need to go out and talk to the people, they own 2 or 3 thousand acres and lots of it is wide open field stuff, very easy to get 1,000 and beyond

52Bore said:
I recognize that bullet!

Picked my mold up today ‘Hot off the press’ Jim got it done this morning, He sure makes a nice mold :yeah: This one drops dead on .453, Now to get some made up and try them out

NBrAEu1.jpg

I think the "Business Rifle" is going to like those bullets, looking forward to your report.

Back